1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

special fox skull?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Hey guys,

been a while. I hope you are all doing great.
    I have a question about a fox skull that I've had for several decades now. the guy told me it was from a blue fox but that is not really a species afaik.
    the skulls has on each side a bony spike on the lower jaws. I've never seen this in any fox skull.

[​IMG]

maybe it's an anomaly in this specific specimen or maybe it is a known feature in a specific (sub)species of (arctic) fox.

I know some of you work with experts in zoology museums so maybe someone knows.

thanks for your help

best regards

marc

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I've looked at mine and I have pure arctic and arctic/red fox crosses. None of them show this. Thinking you have an odd abnormality.

3. Looks like a bone spur to me. I've seen protrusions like this on other species skulls and bones before, and it can be caused either by some kind of injury or a lot of stress on the bone in the area. Usually I see it on large predator skulls like bears, and I'm working on a cougar skull right now that has something similar on the jawbone.

4. skinsandkins

skinsandkins New Member

Ohio
    x2 on the bone spur. They're not common, but not too rare. Very cool find nonetheless!

The seller was either misinformed, or they meant a blue fox as in the color morph. I'd assume that, either way, its a ranched fox.

5. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

thanks guys for the replies. never knew these things were merely anomalies that occur in a range of species. had hoped to own a special subspecies or whatnot.

happy holidays everyone!

marc