1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What mammal is a good first mount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jigginjim, Dec 17, 2016.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Which is best as a first? Coon or Squirrels, Also thinking of doing head should mounts? I have a fox, but thinking of a coon as a practice critter. I'm looking to expand My taxidermy. For now I do fish and deer heads. Looking to add full mounts and birds.

2. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    I think a coon ped would be the best. :)

3. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Coon for full mount also?

4. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Yes that too.

5. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

I am right there with Sonny. The first mammal that I did was a raccoon pedestal. They are easy to work with and easy to flesh and prep. Its also a ton less work than a lifesize coon for a beginner. I think youll like the pedestals they come out looking really cool.

Chris

6. Jeff Dufour

Jeff Dufour Thanks to all USA Veterans and all you have done!

USA
    i suggest something like a fox not to big not to small and the fox is a very beautiful animal

7. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Maybe do all the above, Raccoon both pedestal and full body. Being coon fur prices are so low could purchase them from the trappers. I have a Red Fox in the freezer. I really like the pedestal mounts. To not waste all the hide of the fox. Use the back half as a full mount only missing the head.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jim, check your regs, unless you have a fur buyer's license, you cannot buy raw fur.

9. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I think I can buy it from a fur buying house.

10. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    As long as you have a taxidermy license you should be able to buy raw / whole frozen fur .

11. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have a taxidermy lics. for Minnesota. I'm looking to do a few mammals and may start looking to do other work.

12. coon have a lot of greese,, be sure to degreese well depending on what tan method you use,,

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sonny, where you live that may or may not be true. In MN it is not. You need a fur buyer's license to buy raw fur. This includes anything listed by the state as a fur bearer.
    Jim, yes, you can buy raw fur from a licensed fur buyer.
    I see posts that suggest it happening here frequently, either they don't know the laws or just chose to gamble that they won't get caught.

14. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Yeah you might be right but I didn't say that is the way in every state.

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Any mount you wouldn't mind messing up and don't mind being embarrassed about in 10 years or so. Any first mount won't compare with your skill level once you have some experience. If you are doing a coon or fox, make it easier on yourself and get a replica nose. That way you won't have to worry about shrinkage.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

My first mammal mount was a female homo sapien. Best mount I ever did. Even did a few remounts of her in different positions.

Sorry gentlemen I couldn't resist. :-[

17. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Cecil, we were all thinking it, so thanks for going public...with that being said, I guess I started taxidermy at age 16.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I was a late bloomer.

19. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Probably why you moved from Taxachusetts..lol

20. Wt deer are the bread and butter of many taxidermist and the most mounted specimen in our country year after year. IMO the best one to start with and become proficient on.