1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bleached antlers

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Dead Head 6233, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Dead Head 6233

Dead Head 6233 New Member

I had a customer try and bleach a few of his deer heads, an in his process the heads fell down into his bucket of bleach. Submerging most of the horns in the bleach. So my question is what is the best way to go about restaining them properly? I've rubbed a lil bit of antler stain on the back side of horns to see what it would look like, but I'm not liking the looks of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There are many ways to do that using many different types of stains and products. Use the advanced search on here and type in antler standing and start reading.

3. hamman

hamman SKULL AND BONES TAXIDERMY

If it was truly bleach give them back to him and don't deal with it. its really not worth your time and trouble to try and fix it. Bleach will continue to eat the bone until it finally destroys the entire head and antlers. If a customer is not willing to bring in the skull to do right the first time but they want to bring me there mess to fix I don't even accept them anymore. I have not found a way to neutralize Clorox bleach in bone once someone has tried whitening bone in it. If you do, let me know.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The above is true. If your customer used real bleach, give them back and don't get involved. When that skull starts to disintegrate and fall apart they are going to blame you. If it was peroxide, then you can fix them good as new. Read up on everything from Potassium Permanganat to Minwax to paints and other stains on here and see what you would like to try.

5. blindluck

blindluck Member

I agree with the above, if you are going to attempt this I have great luck with acrylic paint raw umber or burnt umber cut with Windex then applied with a Q-tip, matches unbelievably well.

6. michiganmom

michiganmom Realistic Antler Repair, Re-stain, Restore

x2

7. Dead Head 6233

Dead Head 6233 New Member

Thanks for the input and advise, I'll take a stab at it a see what happens, thanks

8. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Why Windex? Just curious what does thats different than water.

9. Jeff Dufour

Jeff Dufour Thanks to all USA Veterans and all you have done!

USA
    you could try to do a reproduction of the antlers thats the best you could probably do before its too late