1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of a mallard is this?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by IAtaxi, Dec 19, 2016.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I shot this mallard back in November flew into the decoys by himself like a million bucks. Has anyone done a legit albino mallard? I would expect pink eyes pink bill and pink feet. However, I can find no photos on the net of what I would call a true albino mallard. So I figured I just shot some kids 4H project till the other day when I was reading about someone shooting an albino spoonbill. Photos of the spoonbill showed bill, feet, and eyes were the same color as this bird. My old man in the photo told me to mount it no matter what it is, so I did put it in the freezer. Same size as your average drake mallard.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And yes the Afflac duck is still seen doing commercials...

Attached Files:

2. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Attached Files:

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

An albino would have pink or pale blue eyes, but the beak and feet would still be about the same, except with no dark shading.

An albino lacks the ability to manufacture melanin, but some other pigments can still be present, like the carotenoid pigments (yellows and oranges, mostly) that they get from their food.

4. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

Could it be a White Pekin duck?

5. AubreyW

AubreyW Active Member

White mallard mutation. Fairly common in pen raised birds.

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

X2 bought a few off this site.

7. nate

nate Active Member

Melanistic??

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

prob a white mallard mut. but looks like it grew up in the wild....pen birds rarely get tail feathers that well defined

9. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Melanistic would be black or dark It could be leusistic.

10. Leucistic mallard!

11. How about it's just a white domestic duck? Yes, it could be a leucistic mallard, but I'd expect to see some other color somewhere on it. People turn domestics loose in parks or turn them out on ponds and expect them to stay put. They can fly, they join wild flocks, cross with wild birds, etc. It happens. We get them a lot in the Klamath Basin, Oregon.

12. nate

nate Active Member

You are right Tony, it's luesistic, not melanistic. That's what I meant, it just came out wrong.
    URL=http://s640.photobucket.com/user/wildmarshtaxidermy/media/71544_11_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]