1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape prep for the tannery? How much work to do before shipping out?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IAtaxi, Dec 19, 2016.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

So ever since I've started I've been sending out immaculate fleshed, split, skife knife eyes lips nose, and salted capes to the tannery. My question is do I need to be spending this much time doing this or is that really suppose to be there job? I've always been confused about this. I know that these tannerys I've used reflesh what I've already fleshed. So how far do you guys take em down? I currently use The Wildlife Gallery Alum tannery.

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Active Member

You need to remove all red meat. Sounds like what you've been doing.

3. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I remove all red meat, then roll into a tight ball, wrap and freeze solid. (no salt) The tannery splits lips, ears etc.

4. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Your doing way too much as far as fleshing !..I use WG ALUM and capes always come back proplery fleshed and thinned . I split lips and only rough flesh around the mouth & eyes.. Turn ears . On the neck and face I only remove heavy meat don't worry about membranes or thin layers of red meat .. Salt twice . Then hang skin over a sawhorse with a fan blowing on it for a couple days then fold it up and ship

5. John L

John L Active Member

This has come up repeatedly over the years does anyone have pics of what is good enough vs not good to send? I am the same way I flesh ready to mount scared to leave too much on it.

6. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

. Oh lord that would save me a load of time. Thanks!

7. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Back before WG took over Rodger's place in Lassie I asked Rodger several times if I was working to hard on the capes before sending them to him. Every time he said yes. What works for me may not work for everyone but here is what I do. I will turn the eyes, lips, nose and just remove the heave chucks. I turn the ears up to about 1/4" from the end. I do this because it is easier for me to do it after it's tanned and it stopped all the blow out I would get from the tannery. The rest of the cape gets a draw knife run over it to get rid of any red meat. Salt twice and run it over to WG. When it gets back from the tannery I will finish turning the ears and thin any spots they did not get to my stratification. I do my thinning with foredon tool with a drum sander on it.
    Ralph

8. dhart

dhart Active Member

I just cape them, roll them up, freeze em, and ship them to Wildlife Gallery.
    Let them do not he nasty stuff that takes me to much time!

9. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

What plant do you send to? I thought all but the Texas plant, WG hhad to be dried salted.

10. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I spend no more than 1 hr removing the skin from the skull, fleshing, turning, and cleaning the skullcap.

I flesh as I skin most parts.
    Spit everything to the edge,
    Flesh the whisker area, nosepad/nostril (just a quick swipe with the scalpel)
    Flesh the 2" around each eye
    Flesh the corner of the mouth area.
    Then the whole cape gets a once over on the beam..
    If it's stubborn it stays.
    Salt dries it out and they shave it off later..

I only have issues fleshing I'd the skin is water logged or gunshots that did a lot of trauma (very red/slimy skin)

Most others flesh easily.

I don't go crazy... 10 min fleshing is all

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com