1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by oldyellowdog, Dec 20, 2016.

1. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

If you are allowed to put artificial fins on a skin mount, are you allowed to put real fins on a replica? Some fins are very hard to replicate... spiney dorsals

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

State association has a certain criteria on what can be use with what mounts.

As a judge and a person used real fins on a replica that was in that category you would be docked cause it's not a true reproduction.

Now as a person who makes repos I've some very small fins and a spiny dorsal is not hard to cast. If your having troubles it maybe what your using or the mold that you have that is causing the problem. You need to look into this.

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I can't say that I've truly seen an artificial spiny dorsal fin that looks real.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Just check ............

Just check with the state taxidermy association's competition rules. But all the places that I have competed state that whole specimen has to be a reproduction in the reproduction category (except eyes and base/habitat). Even the dead, peeling skin on my cuban rock iguana was made out of IE 3025.

:)

Kerby...

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Frank, unless you have a special language in PA the abbreviation for reproduction is "REPRO". The abbreviation for repossess is "REPO". This simply bugs me when I see it, especially on this site. lol

6. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

JL, you would be bugged a lot as every fish taxidermist including myself refers to them as repos. As it we will come repo your fish if your check bounces.

7. oldyellowdog

oldyellowdog Member

So ok.... we use artificial fins(cast) for comp. skin mount fish, right? because... it is easier, better, and...with no deductions, if done properly.

why would you deduct for real fins on a replica, if done properly??

should there be a hybrid category?

skin mount... no casting!

or how much real fish skin is needed for a "skin" mount? 1" by 1" somewhere on the belly?

where can I get the rule book for the worlds show, and the nationals... thanks, Dan

8. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well......

The World Show has their competition rules on their website.

And the NTA has theirs on their site.

Most state associations have theirs posted on their sites.

Where do you draw the line? I do agree that the reproduction category should be 100% reproduction.

We use artificial parts in a lot of our taxidermy. Artificial bird parts, artificial noses, artificial jaw sets and tongue, etc.. To eliminate all artificial parts is a step backwards.

Some associations say it is okay to buy a reproduction, paint it and then compete with it in the Open/Professional division and most state that you have to mold & cast your own in the Master division.

Bottom line is read the competition rules and then compete based on those rules. If you don't agree with them then: 1) don't compete 2) get on the board and try to change them.

:)

Kerby...