1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Broken Tine Antler Repair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hobbs McAvoy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Hobbs McAvoy

Hobbs McAvoy New Member

Texas
    I have a 135" 8 pt that has broken off it's G2. About 8" is missing. I'll probably tackle this job myself since it's a smaller rack and it's mine and not a customers. I've did a little research and the rebuild looks fairly simple using wire and some apoxie sculpt (?). The staining afterwards and matching the original color of the rack is where the difficult part might be. Any suggestions on stain? Is it worth just buying a kit from Van Dykes and using their paints? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Do the antler repair as you said don't worry about any color matching at this point when repaired
    Air brush the repair with lacquer paint using a off white base color over the repair blending back over & into the real antler a little
    Use artist oil paints to do the color match ,,thin with mineral spirits
    Seal with a flat matte sealer and your done

3. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    You can also mold a similar tine off another rack with just silicone caulk and then use plastic for repair. I've found this much easier and faster. I still add the wire for support. Paint as mentioned above

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use All Game mixed with a little "warm gray" acrylic paint. After the material has hardened and been sanded, I use washes of warm gray and unbleached titanium for the base and raw umber for the detailing. All are Grumbacher acrylic paints found at Hobby Lobby and are applied with an artist brush. I just finished a repair a few days ago using this method and will try and upload a picture tomorrow.

5. Hobbs McAvoy

Hobbs McAvoy New Member

Texas
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

6. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Here is a couple of pictures. The area marked by red was completely broken off and had to be rebuilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the materials I used.

[​IMG]

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Long time ago I airbrushed my repair. Maybe I used the wrong thing, but staining turned out crappy so I wiped it off.

I used a piece of all thread, quick epoxy and Fix-it sculpt.

Attached Files:

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The G2 I just used a coathanger and winged it with Fix-it. Wrapped the sculpt over the wire and wet my finger and made it look like the opposite side did.

Dave, your coloring looks so much better than mine did. Really great!

Attached Files:

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I had a customer that wanted to fix a tine, I didn't sculpt it, I got a shed that was about the same size, cut the antler and pinned the cut shed to replace the broken tine. Epoxied the replacement to the rack, filled with apoxy sculpt, dremeled to blend. I had just a little area that needed to be blended and I used stain to blend the shed to the same color as the antlers.

Here's a before and after of the repair. I know you can see the repair when your close, but when the mount is on the wall you cannot see the repair. CUstomer was happy. That's all that mattered.

Attached Files:

10. dhart

dhart Active Member

This is how I do it, use oil paint raw umber, stipple and dob it!