1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer skull stains

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BTaxidermy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

I have this deer skull that has stains on it that won't come out. I simmered it to clean it. I degreased it for over a month in dawn at 110-115 degrees. I have used the cream peroxide and basic white and it whitened up but still has these stains. I even soaked it in straight 40 volume clear and still these stains are there. Are they grease or what. I would appreciate any info.

Attached Files:

2. 4ester

4ester New Member

Following.... I have one very similar that I just returned to the degreasing bucket. I thought it was probably grease as I have heard it looks translucent/wet.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, that is grease. It could use a soak in acetone and then back into the heated dishwater and sometimes alternate between the two allowing it to dry between soaks to check for progress.

4. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

I'll try that. Thanks for the help l appreciate it.

5. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

Sorry I have another question. How long should I soak it in acetone?

6. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

You can try a week or two. You can also try household ammonia and dawn together. What temperature is your degrease bucket running at?

7. Definately grease. I would say only a month of degreasing is not long enough, keep at it.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll soak it for at least a week in acetone and let dry a day and back into heated dishwater, for another. There isn't a set time for degreasing all skulls, but at least a month is normal for most.

9. BTaxidermy

BTaxidermy New Member

Thanks for the help. I'm using a aquarium heater and my Temps start around 121 degrees and then drop to around 110-115 after a few days. I'm going to insulate my container better this time to keep my Temps steady around 115-120.

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A month is a bit short but the temp has to be constant at 120. Insulation should help. If the heater has been tweaked and you think you can get away with it, try tweaking it a bit higher. Not sure what would be causing the large temperature swings unless it is getting cold out around the bucket and without insulation you are losing all your heat.

11. I wont let my tank get any lower than 118, but I do my best to keep 120. Some are done in two weeks, some are done in 2 months. They are done when they are done.