1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A goose is a goose is a goose....or is it?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Denton Shearin, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I'm currently teaching a waterfowl mounting class and I let my students bring their own birds for the class if they want. One of my students, Julia, asked if she could bring a Ross' goose. When we unpacked it, I knew immediately that it was not a Ross' because it looked like a miniature Canada Goose! I thought maybe it was a Lesser Canada, but when we researched it, it looks like it is probably a Cackling Goose. I had no idea there was so much turmoil in the taxonomy of these geese species.

Do any of you guys have thoughts or opinions about these smaller geese?

2. The best way to tell that it's a cackler is the bill length, if it's less than 32 mm it's a cackler. Cool little geese! Slightly larger than a mallard. Used to shoot lots of them when I lived in Portland Oregon.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They are very cool birds, I shot one about 20 years ago, wished I had mounted it. Would love to get one again some day.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Definitely a cool little goose.in 24 yrs of hunting waterfowl I've never ever seen one untill 2 yrs ago I was walking the frozen edge of the river and one ran out from behind a cluster of grass. I could not believe my eyes.it was a cackler.dropped it in its tracks after the second shot.first shot was a really bad excitement miss shot,lol.i had no idea they were so small.would love to harvest another one some day.

5. Not to interfere with your question,
    Since you guys have a handle in small subspecies, of Canada geese.
    I have a couple of cackler geese, (actually the aleution subspecies)..
    Do you want one?
    Free shot bird,... I did fillet them.
    Shipping is about $65.50 overnight.
    Call me & we'll talk.
    Bob Jungman
    7800 E. Carmen Av
    Fresno Ca 93737
    (559) 269-3336

"My job is to help you have more fun ".
    ----BobJungman

Bob