1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing stains from ptarmigan feathers.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AKYetiMan, Dec 26, 2016.

1. AKYetiMan

AKYetiMan Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to know how I should go about removing blood and dirt stains from white ptarmigan feathers. I searched the archives but nothing came up for me :-\ Would appreciate any help, Thanks! :D

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Just wash it like other birds in Dawn. Wouldn't hurt to add some ERA to heavily bloody areas during a soak

3. AKYetiMan

AKYetiMan Member

Thanks for the response. Does dawn remove blood stains or would I have to use hydrogen peroxide? I'm also not sure what ERA is. I'm brand new to taxidermy and am still trying to figure things out :D

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Peroxide works to but most blood will come out in your wash. ERA is a liquid laundry detergent

5. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Cold water with dawn, warm water will set the blood stains, cold will wash it away

6. AKYetiMan

AKYetiMan Member

Ok. Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it.

7. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Do you just soak or actually wash in delicate cycle in a washing machine? I got a white turkey and it came out of the freezer with blood on wings and body in numerous areas. Rubbed it down with dawn ultra and it's soaked for over an hour with little improvement and yes in cold water.