1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rhino skin texturing

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by bowerbird, Dec 26, 2016.

1. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Just seeking some advice on texturing the skin of a lifesize Rhino showing signs of epidermis decay, I intend to use texture pads, and some form of adhesive covering
    What materials have people used that have been successful , I'm looking at Aves fixit clay as an option,,any suggestions?

2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Go thru the produce department of the local grocery store and look at the various things there. Oranges grapefruit, avocados etc etc. Buy a few and take them home and make silicone or urethane press pads from the sides of the fruit. These make wonderful variations of textures that will work for lots of applications. Sometimes one is not suitable by itself but if you come back with a second one you can often replicate things really close. A friend that does dinosaur models has boxes of these and I've seen first hand the magic that can happen very quickly and easily.

3. vic h

vic h Active Member

I would find a number of places on the dried mount that the eppidermist is still intact and make press molds from these areas, for example if the area needing attention is on the left shoulder take the impression from the right shoulder in the same area then the texture will be the same. As Fishmaster posted, save these impressions for future use not only for Rino's but for what ever they match that needs repair [ex. Warthog].

4. vic h

vic h Active Member

As an addition to my earlier reply, what ever you use as the repairing compound, lightly dust the the patch with fine sand while it is still tacky. Even lightly tap the sand into the epoxy. If you rub your fingers on the dried skin on a Rino, it has a sandpaper feel. The sand will help replicate that and help keep that area from looking too slick and "plastic" after it is painted.