1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DONT BUY FROM ARCHIE PHILLIPS !!!

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by markason, Dec 29, 2016.

1. markason

markason New Member

I had a taxidermist to mount a Spearfish for me, and the mold from ARCHIE PHILLIPS WAS JUNK!!!!! FAKE LOOKING just a total fake looking fish looks like it was imported from a drunk in china. What a huge waste of time and money!!! FIre this dam company

2. X2
    sent them a 14 ld brown trout it came back looking like a monkey mounted it every single fin was brittle to the touch and had to be replaced. scales missing in patches. I took pics with intent on posting just never did. I think I still have them.

3. boogger47

boogger47 Member

poor quality work at best.

4. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Archie Phillips been around for a long long time, can't be selling all junk?

5. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

I'm not very fond of a non taxidermist giving me advice on who to and who not to buy from. Sounds like you have an issue with your taxidermist that should be handled in private.

DP

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

u get what you pay for.if your looking for a top notch real looking blank anyone in taxidermy should know not to get a ap blank.i have to also agree with d.price

7. [​IMG]
    What I received back

GOOD JOB on it aint it !
    big patch of missing scales above the anus and all the broken fins, Head was dripping grease.
    Repo fins added artificl head added , lots of labor I was in hole with it on $ lesson learned the hard way.
    Yes the fins were intack when it left me, yes it was fresh, yes they got it in a day shipping, yes I called them, YES THEY LIED (three times) three different lies. and NO they didn't not help any way or fashion. Poor work poor customer service, and lying department head over there mounting dept.

Years ago they may have been a good company with decent product. Not today ! Archie isnt running the show anymore and those that are , are running it into the ground.

8. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

You went cheap....there's your answer in 3 words.

9. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Did your customer catch it or kill it with a shotgun?? WOW.

10. Looks like some butthead opened the package before it got to you and did that

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I believe he made the bulk of his money in Real Estate. So, yes he can still be selling all junk - lol!

Buck-Fever, I think your comments are an insult to monkey's everywhere - lol! Boy, that mount is almost unbelievably awful! Looks almost like it was left in a solvent too long for the fins to disentigrate like that! Amongst a whole lot of other issues!

12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

just because he has been in business forever does not mean he does good work.. I have seen some of his work in the last few years that was substandard

13. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

I've had trout fins do that in the summer down here in the south.I attributed it to the solvent being too warm.I started making a smaller batch for my trout and put them in the fridge.Seems to have eliminated it as far as I can tell.

14. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

That can also happen when shipping takes longer than expected and the fish starts to spoil...

I occasionally use A.P. blanks, and don't have a problem, but you have to be able to sculpt mouths, etc...I learned on crap that was WAY WORSE than A.P blanks. I just don't get all the bashing, but whatever..

15. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

I agree finfeather.....You know what your getting at the price you are paying......as far as the blanks go I actually appreciate being to give my customers the option.They know what they are getting going into it.Most however do not choose this option.But the ones that do are happy with the finished product ..don't tell anyone but his sportsman 2 LMB forms fit great and are priced right....Archie is a likeable guy who in my opinion chose to profit from taxidermy versus trying to become a world champion.

On a side note someone said he made his money in real estate but did the money to fund that business venture not come from taxidermy?Honestly I don't know but It would make sense.Sounds like he's smarter than all of us.

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It's one thing to put out sub-par quality blanks and then quite another to perform the above hack-job on an irreplaceable skin mount! WHOMEVER did that skin mount should stay in Kindergarten! That mount is total garbage even by Ebay standards! There is no excuse. If it were spoiled any taxi worth a grain of salt would have called the customer before attempting. And, I'm pretty sure those fins are eaten from solvents not spoilage, but that's just an educated guess....