1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

OTS Semi-Upright

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Driftless, Jan 1, 2017.

1. So I have about 60 shoulder mounts to do this Year - it seems like 2/3 picked my Semi-upright OTS over the other OTS poses. Unfortunately that pose has the least number of sizes. Based on my observations, the OTS forms are a little lower than many others and their semi-upright is same height as most semi-sneaks(the McKenzie 6900 semi-sneak that I have is the same height)Looking through my catalogues, the Gene Smith forms in Semi sneak look real close to the OTS Semi-upright. Looking for opinions. I love mounting on OTS whenever possible, I also don't like ordering from anywhere that doesn't have SpeeDee shipping. Again, looking for advice.

2. buckman170

buckman170 Member

OTS are just awesome forms, with that said, matuska semi up might have the look your looking for, also they mount up great! Good luck.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Repetition and familiarity and good for production, however, diversity offers one many more options in pleasing customers.

4. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say - I have a full sneak, 3 semi-sneaks, 2 semi-uprights, and 1 full-upright on display.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Diversity in other form manufactures I believe TT is saying.

6. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I use alot of Matuska forms and they are very nice and they can ship speedy and bouns you get candy with every order ;D ;D

7. I have 3 manufacturers and 4 different mold makers on display. What I'm looking for is what form guys feel is closest to OTS Semi-upright - the form that the majority of my customers gravitate to.

I like Matuska, but theirs is not offset like the OTS.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Have you looked into Research Mannikins, Headquarters, True fit, Fosters, or Revolution? One of those should have what you are looking for. They usually show the profile of the form for you to compare with.

9. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Another form you might want to think about is the mears suo.

10. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I feel your pain, I like OTS also, but I don't offer them too much because of lack of sizes. For commercial work I offer companies with lots of sizes to offer.

11. George1419

George1419 New Member

Tn.
    The Mckenzie 6500 has any and every size you need it is closer to a semi up than semi sneak, I use it on 75% of my mounts and my customers love the look.

12. I let the client choose the pose, I CHOOSE the sculptor and company I order from,, because I know what fits best and looks best, 6 months after they drop it off and come to pick it up they don't know one form from another, The hard one to find is a straight semi sneak,,

13. I love OTS forms, but another company you may want to check out is Hilton Eppley forms. 95% of my whitetail forms come from either Hilton Eppley or OTS.

14. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

I agree in that each sculptor sees the "upright, semi-upright, and sneak" all differently as to the head height. I have found a difference in all of them (i.e. the Research up right is more like a semi-upright or some may call it a relaxed upright....). OTS does do a great job on their forms especially since you don't have to do much to them but, there is a lack in sizes. The lack in sizes is why I show the customer ideas on poses and what they can expect but I NEVER let them tell me who to purchase it from. This would open up a can of worms where I don't want to go. One other sculptor not many talk about but makes a great for especially for larger deer is Joe Coombs. Don't know what others think but Revolution forms are some of the most anatomically forms..... Note I didn't say customer pleasing. That would be more toward OTS.