1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Hair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mossyoak660, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Today i mounted up a deer and after i already have it on manikin and sewed up i noticed a problem. I used an upright 9700 series manikin turned right. The show side just on top of the neck is a mess. This deer must have been in a few fights he has 4 scars that i didnt notice until now. It has his hair patterns way off and showing alot of black lines. Plus this is all around the crease that the manikin has at the top of neck so its making it look worse.... I tried cutting one out and pinned but didnt change much.. Any HELP ??[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Try brushing from the back side of deer to the front instead of straight down, might change the way the hair lays if its still damp, otherwise your stuck with it. The lines can also be caused by oversized form and hair patterns not laying correctly.

3. It had plenty of room to move around and i tried moving the skin all diffrent ways but didnt help. When you lift up the hair at those lines they are an 1/8 to 1/4 wide scars under there. Has anyone tried airbrush?

4. Looks to me the deer had some deep scars affecting the hair pattern, i have not tried an airbrush on that, if the skin has no wrinkles i would try brushing the pattern out the best i could, looks like his natural pattern now after some scars he developed to me.

5. You can use some pot.mang on the grey hairs, it will stain them brown, very close to the natural hair color that is missing. I just dab it on with a qtip. Dont freak, the hair turns purple at first but will change quickly. Dab, wipe off and wait a minute. Otherwise, the deer is what it is, I like the individual characteristics that define each animal.