1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

refreezing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ozzy49938, Jan 2, 2017.

1. I'm mounting an Elk. Ordered up the form head up position which the guy wants to keep. So I'm about 9 inches to long on the rack hitting the wall. I have an idea to build the form out to be able to keep the head up and for it to fit. So my question comes in at not sure I will have enough hide to make up the distance. If I take the hide out and do a prefit and I end up short can I stick it back in the freezer until I come up with a different solution? I used Mckenzie Tan on the hide. It was pickled. I usually take out of the freezer give the hide a finial wash, rinse then stretch and mount. Thanks for the help.
    Ozzy

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done just that with Liqua tanned capes as well as commercial tanned capes. I have taken out and refroze capes three or four times while getting things just right. I believe that the more times you do this the more chance of something going wrong, however, I have no proof of that.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If tanned properly it'll be fine but like I said if tanned properly and rub on tans can have issues, A lot of info here on it.

Now I've taken them out and left them in my fridge for two weeks and no issues but I tan with ez-100. I know my tans and what they can do and can't do.

Personally having done many elk I've never seen this problem only time is when the rack was not on the from properly set. Check the set on the rack it just may need to be lifted up (skull is cut wrong for the manikin) and readjust it to where it needs to go.

4. Just did a test on one of my personal capes about a month ago. Commercially tanned and fresh. Picked up cape from tannery, stretched, and double checked for measurements. Put in the freezer. Pulled it out a few days later and thawed. Threw it in the fridge for a couple days then froze it a second time. Pulled again and repeated. I ended up refreezing this cape 4 times and it also sat in the fridge for a total of 8 days. Mounted up just fine. My tanner uses a synthetic tan. Not recommending that capes be treated in such a fashion, but wanted to see what would happen.