1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

new air compressor

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jigginjim, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

now many guy operate any of the silentaire compressors as compared to piston type at home depot or menards? looking to up grade.

2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Get a tank type and put it into a closet or other room to get the noise away from where you are working. With pvc or pex pipe run lines to the areas you need air.
    You can wire it into a timer that is used on an attic fan. You turn the dial when you walk into the shop for 8hrs and when you leave you'll know that the compressor will not be kicking on overnight in case you've left a hose on that leaks air.
    Use some plumbing on the bottom of the tank with a ball valve to get rid of the petcock so that it is easy to drain the moisture from the tank. If you elevate the compressor a foot or two you can put a section of surgical tubing on the drain tube and go into a bucket with a lid. That way you open the valve, blow out the condensation into the container. If you have a floor drain close just go straight to that. Use rubber pads under the feet of the compressor to reduce noise.
    Do it once and you'll be a happy camper for a long time.

3. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Garage-Air-Line-Kit/50129844

Dont use PVC!!! If is blows apart it will send shards everywhere, and yes is it will happen. The above airline will work a lot better. You can up grade to other sizes, but for most shops this will do fine.

4. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Watch ebay for Silent Aire compressors - I picked up a used 20A for $120

5. bowelk

bowelk Member

Have the 30tc for 12 years now. Operates more than one airbrush, super quiet, no problems. Would buy another if this one ever failed.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I researched things about two years ago and ended up buying an Iwata Power Jet Pro as I thought it was the best value. Assuming you're not running any power tools I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Silent Compressors - my Iwata is SWEET! I love it. Whomever above got a 20A for that price won the lottery. Don't expect to even be able find a used Silnet Aire or the likes and if you do they hold their value.

The reason(s) I chose the Iwata were again I thought it offered the best value for the money. Auto shut-off, dual regulators and 2 quick disconnect 10' coil hoses came with it. That there saved a chunk of money that you have to pay extra with the SilentAire I believe. It never needs oil like the SilentAire20A - zero maintenance really. Portable, so I can take it to shows, on-site training or anywhere I want. Great for students with the second hose and to set up two air brushes with different tips. It's super quiet too. Can't overheat as it'll auto-shutoff if taxed too much - which I have never been able to do yet. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it and I think the value and zero maintenance were the reasons I chose it over the SilentAire. But I know that too is a good compressor. Like I said you can't go wrong with these things. If you don't like it you can always sell it for great resale prices. But, you'll love it!

7. X 2 Fishmaster

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Never thought about that happening! I used 1/2" Schedule 40 pvc throughout my shop and haven't had a problem..yet.

9. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Joey, I too used schedule 40 pac and ran my runs above the ceiling and then down the wall to various hook up places. My shop building is 2400 sq ft so I probably have 150' or more of lines going to different places. If the line was under pressure and you slammed it with a hammer it would probably fracture and the results may not be good. I understand the safety issue so I ran all my lines from above to minimize the chance of problems. Mine has been in place for twenty years with no problems. If I was doing it again I'd use Pex. That way you could have one manifold at the compressor and home -run lines to each of the spots you need air. You would have zero chances of of problems or slow leaks.

10. I was EXTREMELY lucky to have Rick draw my name at New Years and won a super nice Silentaire 20A compressor. My old Iwata was on its last puff. If I don't have my exhaust running, I can't hardly tell it's running. Will surely be my last compressor. Can't thank Rick and Silentaire enough!
    [​IMG]

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member