1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Hunting Season 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by MallardsFowlLife, Jan 6, 2017.

1. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

I've been on and off on here the last couple months but I didn't find this in searching the forum and love everyone's pictures every year. If you have them, post them and thank you in advance for sharing! Obviously I love my wood duck lease!

Attached Files:

2. MallardsFowlLife

A pair I shot that fell on each other, me and my older brother and my wife's first snipe

Attached Files:

3. MallardsFowlLife

Early season river Gadwall, a wood duck beat down and just another wood duck

Attached Files:

4. nate

nate Active Member

Great pics!! Thanks for sharing!!

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your hunting photos. Awesome shots.

Here's one from me from a hunt "back home". Adding to a pile of duck hunting memories.

Attached Files:

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

why do you guys shoot hens....sportsman in Minn and other northern states spend a lot of hours for woodduck production and wouldnt shoot a hen if it was the only duck seen all day......thats future breeders......shoot the extra drakes and leave the hens alone........

7. MallardsFowlLife

Already...
    I shoot ducks to eat. Plain and simple. If I kill good drakes, I mount or gift them. I have no reason to justify anything to you, but if you must.
    I spend hundreds of hours on my lease every year in the off season to have the numbers I do. I feed birds. I build boxes. I clear brush. I remove dams. I trap predators. My wood ducks are here all year and the reason is because of all the work I put in to give them prime habitat. What I hunt and what I shoot is frankly none of your damn business. So if you're not complimenting someone's pictures or posting pictures, take your smart ass down the line.
    People like you is what has made this website so vacant over the years.

8. bucksnort10

Sorry I don't live up to your standards.

I figure "I" come out ahead in the net count of all contributions to wood ducks and their populations.
    Do you?

I shot 1 hen wood duck this year and one drake wood duck.

I have donated 12 wood duck houses to my friends that are currently in production.
    I currently have 4 wood duck house that are currently in production that I personally maintain.
    Assuming a low yield of 4 ducklings per house that is 64 wood ducks "I" contributed to this year's population.

Thus a net yield of 62 wood ducks to the plus.

How did YOU do this year in the wood duck population growth/demise?

Sorry I am not a sportsman in YOUR eyes. And yes I live in the northern states too.

9. bucksnort10

10. bucksnort10

11. nate

nate Active Member

Drakes, hens or whatever. They all shoot the same and they all taste the same! Mmmmmmmmm yummy!! :)
    I haven't hunted waterfowl in 8 years due to work, so it's nice to see the pics!! Keep'em comin guys!!:)

12. Sprigman

Sprigman Member

I'm headed out to St. Paul Island Alaska next week for 8 days to hunt King Eider. Hoping to have a bunch of photos to share when I get back.

13. MRN

MRN Member

Take it easy "byrdman." Shooting your legal limit of birds, (hens or drakes) isn't causing any harm. When I'm hunting my favorite woodie hole they usually come in right at legal shooting time and it's like shooting at bats. It can be tough to pick out hens and drakes, that's why we can only shoot 3 woodies a day. If everyone had your mentality and only shot drakes, we'd only have hens. Then they'd be extinct.

Guys, shoot your legal daily bag and be happy!

P.S. if it flies it dies, and if it lands in the decoys... it dies too!

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    My grill doesn't care the sex of the bird the meat comes from and neither do I. They taste the same. Nice pics folks.

15. MallardsFowlLife

Sprigman please do! I'm sure that's a bucket lister for most! I'll hopefully post more tonight as I made my annual trip out west. And by out west I mean to the Florida Panhandle lol. Here's another from a few weeks ago and my trip from Jan 16 to the Panhandle.

Attached Files:

16. bucksnort10

Those redheads looik awesome too!

17. bucksnort10

Good luck!! That would be an awesome hunt. Hopefully the weather cooperates for you. I would love to see some photos -- of hunting conditions too.

18. bucksnort10

I thought I would share my hunting story with you too.

Last fall I made it back home to try some bow hunting. After my morning hunt I stopped by a beaver pond that is right next to the road. A wood duck flew away and I made up my mind to come back the next morning and see if I could get him. This is on a pond that I have hunted 2 or 3 times in the past that I had never seen a duck while hunting. One that has a wood duck house on it. So my expectations weren't the highest, but thought I would give it a go. So the next morning I took a handful of shells and stuffed them into my pocket. When I got set up as it was getting lighter out I heard some wood ducks "qweeking" and thought oh wow, THERE ARE DUCKS HERE. You have to understand that in the county I grew up, there are 2 lakes and neither one "holds" any ducks. You may hunt all fall and get 1 or 2 days of shooting. Thus not many duck hunters. Plus it is Wisconsin!! HA! In the hour after shooting hours started I easily saw over 100 wood ducks (and 2 mallards). I was tucked into the brush along one edge and tried to hit some of them as they came in twisting and turning, all of the shots being close -- probably within 10 yards. Anyway I quickly shot my 7 shells and ended up with the 2 ducks. Meanwhile the ducks just kept coming and landing out on the other side of the pond and back in the flooded woods. It was awesome. Through time, memories fade, but that hunt has to rank up near one of my top hunts. In part because that pond is on land that my Uncle used to own and that wood duck house on it, I put there over 20 years ago, having to rebuild it once. And replace it once after it was stolen, which was okay by me too as I figured whoever took it would use it too. I love duck hunting! (and eating them too!!!). Dan

(Editor's :) :) note. Through my duck hunting "career" I have shot a total of 4 wood ducks in Wisconsin. Never really targetting them. I have kept records of that duck house location on my Uncle's pond and it has housed ducklings every year but two. My brother and I make a "trip" of it each spring to maintain my 4 wood duck houses, which gives us another excuse to get outdoors and just enjoy being out there. Our Dad instilled in us the love of hunting and most every time I am out I think of him and wish he were still here.)

19. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Have always heard that one roster pheasant will breed many hens during mating season ( thats why we shoot only males ) but ducks pair up one on one so it doesn't really matter which you shoot. Can't shoot just males when it comes to canada geese or snows.

20. nate

nate Active Member

Holy!! Look at all them stud redheads!! Nice!!