1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Hunting Season 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by MallardsFowlLife, Jan 6, 2017.

1. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

On a plane at the moment headed to Obregon Mexico for 4 days of waterfowl action. These are from a trip to the gulf coast about 2 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. EHile

EHile Member

Great photos and stories, everyone! I always enjoy this annual thread c:

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

drake ducks will mate with any hens until they box up......check out ponds in spring you will see pairs but slowly drakes will outnumber the hens and mate with any of them until they nest.....yes geese are an exception but dont think any ducks are monogamous..but this is only about woodducks.....mallardslife...you just have different view of the woodduck....they were near extinct until Minn sportsman started recovery efforts......to them a hen is very precious...thats all.......hen woodies,like pheasants raise the brood....drakes just lay around all summer..

4. Byrdman ive mounted more hens then drakes so far this year for my customers. If it flies it dies so it dont matter sportsmen and women and kids pay for their license so ultimately its up to them what they choose to shoot NOT U! Keep up the pics folks they r beautiful

5. byrdman

youth hunters do shoot a lot of hens...and imature drakes in early seasons.....ethical hunters usually will pick out drakes,roosters,bucks,toms,....I know you folks just dont get it....and I dont get why....not telling anyone what to shoot....just stated "why"?

6. Well no Redheads this year but did score this little stud. 25 degrees and 15mph winds in Florida!

Attached Files:

7. I respect your opinion but I don't think a hunter is un-ethical if he shoots a bird or animal that the law allows him to harvest? I am under the opinion that the return of the wood duck was more due to the fact that more and better habitat has been provided to help them with nesting success.

8. No, you don't "get it". I already appeased you by giving an undeserved response. You tell me what is a drake and what is a hen five minutes after legal shooting light. 20 minutes after shooting light, a wood duck shoot is over. Unethical? Because I don't meet your "high standards" of a drakes only shoot? You obviously don't get it. Practice good management, have unbelievable duck numbers and shoot what you want. You gonna knock me next for shooting does? Tell me which in this picture is a drake or a hen.
    Go stand on your soapbox somewhere else dingus...

Attached Files:

9. byrdman

whitetails...yeah un-ethical was the wrong term....you can shoot hen mallards too but most hunters pick out the greenheads.....best woodie shooting we have is an hour after sunrise to about 10...they dont get out of roosts very early like mallards do....nothing to do with standards.....just preservation of the species....and if you cant tell a drake from a hen in legal light maybe you should take up golf ...the unbelievable numbers are thanks to sportsmen in the northern production states.....we breed them so you can shoot them...they dont like ice...I dont give a rip what you shoot or eat.....but why would you...answer me that fowl

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

As a avid waterfowl hunter for 24 years I do every ethical thing I can.
    I put out woody boxes,I trap as many coon and opossum as I can and during the summer months I harvest as many large snapping turtles as I can.ive seen the work I do speak for itself.i however do shoot hens.they taste just as good as drakes.its my legal right ,so I do it.if a group of birds come in I do my best to only shoot drakes but if I miss on a drake and turn to shoot the next bird and it's a hen oh well she's down.i been hunting woodies my whole life and they are always the first to fly or leave the spot I'm in.i have only once been able to pick out a drake as I have a dark backround i shoot into.i never know if it's a hen or drake untill i go to retrieve it.if it's a slow day and all that's landing or decoying happens to be hens then that's what I shoot.we try are best to not take hens but it is what it is.i do not condone anyone who shoots hens as its there legal right to do as they please.i tried for a few yrs to not shoot hens no.matter what but after breaking my ass all morning chopping Ice and setting up the coy and sitting there creezeing I said screw it and now I shoot anything on slow days.for the record I don't like shooting hen hoodys as there ugly and the dogs barely like eating them.otber them that I'll shoot any hen that comes in.oh and I won't shoot hen sea ducks as there also very ugly .that dish of duck looks amazing.

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

One of my favorites

Attached Files:

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

Nice mallard pair

Attached Files:

13. byrdman

nice Brian.....I so want to be out there...

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks pat.yeah it was nice to get out a few times.just can't wait till I can shoot again and not just sit and watch

15. Woodducks may fly later in the north, but down here it is first light. Also, we have a lot of woodducks raise down here in the summer as well.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

Jewelry

Attached Files:

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

Good old girl remy

Attached Files:

18. Brian

Brian Active Member

Another shot of my buddy's proud girl.

Attached Files: