1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Extra hide from shoulder mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mopsrdrawer67, Jan 7, 2017.

1. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Hi folks. I was wondering what y'all do with extra tanned hide from capes after mounting? I get my capes commercially tanned and I never want to waste extra tanned hide pieces (sometimes fairly large). I ziploc bag them, but they're starting to take up too much room in my freezer. I was thinking about deer skin (quilt type) blankets, etc?. Thx, Greg

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

We bought a rubber ink stamp. The scraps , once dry are cut and stamped with it. Then I throw them in a box that sits in the showroom. Any kids come in, I let them pick out one to take. This also gives them something to do, keeping thier hands off the mounts.

If I get some nice short haired brisket or early season hair, I'll pin it to a piece of styrofoam so it dries flat, then I cut it,stamp it and give those to the ladies that come in as coasters.

3. bowelk

bowelk Member

We give them to a friend involved in the Boy Scouts. The kids make knife sheaths and other things with them.

4. Save most of it for the kids and the fly tiers.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Trash most, save a few chunks of odd fur for fly tiers. If I kept them all I would fill my shop and it is too small the way it is. I don't pay for the tanning, the customer does, so I'm out nothing.

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I have a local science teacher take mine.. they use it for showing children how hard it is to get oil out of animal hair/fur...

Whatever.. better than going in the trash.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

7. dhart

dhart Active Member

I donate mine to the Aldo Leopold center. They use it for arts and crafts in summer school!