1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skulls Unlimited overprice

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ElephasMaximus, Jan 8, 2017.

1. A damaged disarticulated rat for $195?!
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=11144
    Compare with marmoset. Looks like it's worth 2 rats.
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_variant.php?id=6529

2. IMO Skulls Unlimited is a good place to buy replicas (for me they are geographically closer and hence cheaper shipping than buying direct) and for things you just can't find anywhere else. But, for real skulls/bones of common species that are available lots of places, they are indeed over-priced and it is best to look elsewhere.

3. I bought a replica Thylacine skull from them which I thought was a fantastic price, given that it is the most realistic replica I've ever seen.

My only problem is with the shipping. I paid $90 to have it shipped express via Fedex, and around two weeks later, I was literally billed another £35 by Fedex for handling.

Understandably I've been quite hesitant to buy from Skulls Unlimited since. I'd love to get more skulls but if I'm going to have surprise charges then hell no. I know Fedex is entirely separate from Skulls Unlimited but I'm anxious that it's the only shipping company they will use so attempting to talk them into using a different courier might not work. :/ Fedex are just terrible though. They can jump off a cliff.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Its a great place to visit if you are ever in Oklahoma City! We went there one Sunday afternoon, and the place was packed with people. They have an unbelievable museum. I couldn't get my wife out of the gift shop. They have to charge what they have to charge...tremendous overhead, and some very rare specimens for sale. The quality is great!

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Go with them for replicas. As for what they charge for the real thing, some of them are just absolutely laughable. Their replicas are Bone Clones and you might get them cheaper if you buy direct.

6. I'm surprised they wouldn't ship postal - even express mail insured would have been cheaper than that. In the future you might try the replica makers themselves - Bone Clones and Valley Anatomical. Most of Skulls Unlimited replicas are made by one of those companies and they might be more amenable to shipping via postal service. Speaking of replicas, I also sell some in my Ebay store (username is the same as it is here). I don't have anything as exotic as a thylacine but I have no issue with using the postal service for international shipping.

7. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

I never ordered directly from Valley Anatomical, but an order from BC will also come with extra costs in the EU, whether they use FedEx or not, because of their products are taxed on the way in.
    Regarding the replicas themselves, I have some from both companies. Valley Anatomical is so so but ok imo. BC casts are much better, but they are not painted (its tinted resin) and they'll yellow over time or if exposed to UVs.

8. I totally get import tax and such, especially with taxidermy goods. I was just saying that it didn't make sense to be charged £35 two weeks AFTER receiving the skull... Usually I get the charge before or when I receive the item(s).

I probably will check out Bone Clones since they're the guys who casted the Thylacine I have.