1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail ears split

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by redbrooke, Jan 8, 2017.

1. redbrooke

redbrooke New Member

Split ears from game ranch? I need to repair one completely split. Super glue or sew it up? Need advice. Thank you in advance.

2. dcooper

dcooper Member

Make some nice tight stitches and close it up. If it was a small split, super glue and a dryer sheet would be OK but I'm guessing you've got something larger. Can't go wrong with tight stitches.

3. A pic of the split ear would be helpful.

4. I do a fair amount of game farm deer and most have large splits where a tag ripped through. I have had a few guys ask me to transplant good ears which I charge them for a whole new cape plus 2 hrs of repair. Most guys don't mind the split, so I turn to the edge open it up with a scalpel, trim the liner to fit then epoxy the ear to the liner. Where I opened it up once dry I'll put a little epoxy sculpt over the seam and use the hair powder for bald guys over the small spot of apoxie sculpt

5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Use earliners. Splits don't matter at all. Card the ears after mounting.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As Rick said. I don't remember when I sewed any tear in wt ears when using liners. Push split together, good glue and done. A little apoxy on the inside to hide cut and hair on outside will hide the tear, maybe a little airbrush work, that's it.

7. same as Rick and Paub