1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small White moths???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by taxidermygirl, Jan 8, 2017.

1. taxidermygirl

taxidermygirl Member

Not sure what category to put this in.....
    Hi guys, in a bit of a panic right now...it is the dead of winter and I am noticing small white moths flying around my shop! I know they cannot be coming from the outside. How do I begin to fix this if it is a problem? Where would they come from, and how do I get them to leave!?!?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

They probably came from your mounts. They lay their eggs in your mounts and eat the skin and will destroy you mounts. Once they dig in they are hard to get rid of. Garbage bags over the mounts and flying insect bug spray/bombs. Freezing smaller mounts then flying insect spray. There is an ad in the trade mags for exterminating bug infestations specifically for taxidermy.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2 - get on it quick and use spray that will kill eggs and larvae too. I bomb/spray my shop 2 or 3 times a year and treat each mount with a product made for taxidermy (can't remember the name at the moment - getting old).

4. taxidermygirl

taxidermygirl Member

I probably have a 100 mounts, and we live here too.....any advice on where to start? birds, deer, fish....etc?

5. I will probably get attacked for saying this but I'm going to guess you mount hides that are still "green", or not tanned. I think hides that are mounted green have a higher chance of this happening to. If you are not tanning hides then is is extremely important to get that hide 100 meat free.

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

http://www.mountmedix.com/

7. Mountmedix has good products. Don't delay

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to mounts that were commercially tanned.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Could it be from the wood on the habitat?

10. Could be pantry moths, you don't have any grains ,spices or breakfast cereals in your bench cupboards do you ?
    room temperature is enough for insects to go through there life cycle.

11. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/bugs/

Case bearing moth- their larva eat keratin, and especially the hair roots.