1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Pics of different sealers and finishes used

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by WackyBonesTaxidermy, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I was looking for some finish skull pictures using some of the main finish's and sealers can anyone help. You can post more than what I list but these seem to be the main ones.
    Mop N Glo
    Future floor finish
    Matte krylon non yellowing
    Satin clear acrylic
    Acryloip (Paraloid) B-72

Thanks for your help

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can search my posts for photos. Any finished skulls are sealed with paraloid.

3. IMHO paraloid and matte krylon are it.

4. I use paraloid, but can tell you that when I used satin acrylic it maid my skulls look plastic.

5. rim runner

rim runner New Member

anyone use Elmer's glue mixed with water?

6. Sea Wolf

Do a search on here for Elmer's Glue. You will find that especially in humid environments it attracts dirt and dust and sucks it right into the coating.. it is water soluble and not a good choice for a sealant.

7. rim runner

rim runner New Member

thanks, I've tested it on a couple of skulls. Since I live in a dry climate I may not have problems with the ones I've already done. I'll give some of the other sealers being recommended a try.

8. I really like Paraloid. I like to dip the skull 5+ times to get a super shiny, almost plastic/glass-like coating. Then I draw on the skulls. It makes the surface very smooth and makes it so the ink doesn't bleed. I learned pretty quickly that you can't paint or ink on a non-sealed skull :)

Attached Files:

HuntersUnion likes this.
  9. rim runner

rim runner New Member

nice

10. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Paraloid-72 for me too..

11. bucksco80

bucksco80 Member

where can you buy this paraloid at? How is it applied to skull? thanks

12. Sea Wolf

Use the Advanced Search on here for it ... or Google Paraloid B72 or B-72 (or Acryloid B-72). There are several places to get it so you want to compare prices. A kilo will last a very long time as there is virtually no waste with this unlike sprays.

BearBonz likes this.
  13. But the wait time before sealing is so long. I hate making customers wait so long.

14. Sea Wolf

Wait time before sealing? If the skull is clean of grease and dry, I seal it.

BearBonz likes this.