1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What kind of Glue do you use?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KLFL, Jan 12, 2017.

1. KLFL

KLFL Member

I've been using zap a gap to glue the skin to the artificial heads and it drys way to quick so I have one chance to get it right it.. I need some ideas for different glue what kind of glue do you all recommend?

2. nate

nate Active Member

I just use the cheap stuff from the dollar store!!

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

super glue GEL sets up fairly slow.

4. Wild zone

Wild zone New Member

I am new so I will
    Ask, what about clear calk or regular elmers glue? What do you think Tanglewood?

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Super glue gel. You need a glue that kicks quick or the skin will shrink away before the glue kicks, yes it takes practice to get things where they need to be and you must work quick, but it is doable.

6. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Think a little bigger .... volume that is . Starbond offers different setting speeds. Starbond EM-600 Medium Thick CA Glue, 16 oz. Then if you need instant set a mist of Starbond Accelerator Aerosol, 10 oz.

If you want superior adhesion , time to work , and no lifting after its set .Its sticky and will hold the skin in place till it sets. Magic smooth is the way to go.

7. Hobby Lobby sells some SA. near the model cars and train stuff. the medium is perfect for me. It sets in a bout a minute. Test fit the skin then a little glue witha straight pin and slide skin into place.

8. nate

nate Active Member

I dremel out my heads around the bill. I've often wondered about what if I rolled up a small bead of apoxie sculpt and pressed the skin in that way. has anyone tried this?? I might have to!

9. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

I am with 3bears. I have been using Loctite, super glue, gel control. The packaging says it has a 10 second set time. There is more than enough time to get each portion of the bill/beak in place before you move on to another area.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I use the same as bucksnort10. I have squirted it into a little puddle and used it to dip plucked turkey feathers and hair butts from the head and neck to apply them to an artificial head and I can dip feathers and hairs for several minutes before the gel kicks.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Caulk and Elmer's glue wouldn't set quick enough and would be quite messy.

12. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

You guys ever notice if you wet the skin it kicks faster?

13. nate

nate Active Member

That's a good point Jay. Most of them glues will kick faster with moisture

14. I use 5 second brush on nail glue. Adhere's to human skin quite well and also birds' skin.

15. Wild zone

Wild zone New Member

Thanks Tanglewood ,

Birdstuffer I'm new so please bare with me, do you mean the nail glue that ladies use to put imitation nails over their finger nails , or are you referring to liquid nails that carpenters use?

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jay, yes I have noticed it. In fact I use a spray bottle to kick it quicker, so to speak, when I am using to make repairs on mammal ears but don't on birds.

17. I dremel mine out too. I tried the apoxie sculpt thing one time after a judge recommended it. I probably didn't do something right, but I couldn't get it to work at all. Most of the skin popped right up. I had to rehydrate & glue it back down.

18. Yes it's the nail glue that people use for artificial nails. It comes with a brush so you can brush it on easily without any dripping!

19. nate

nate Active Member

Thanks Cheri, that really sounds like a good deal. I'll have to pick up a bottle and give that a go

20. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thank you Cheri, I'll give that a try on the next batch of birds coming up. It just so happens that my daughter just asked me if I could use an unopened bottle of that stuff.