1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

slipping squirrel hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by clovis67, Jan 13, 2017.

1. clovis67

clovis67 New Member

Have been noticing small areas of hair slipping on squirrels' that I have put in krowtan along side deer hides.When I pull out the squirrels I have noticed areas with hair slipping.This is before neutralizing and washing.
    Any suggestions on what I need to do or not do?

2. clovis67

clovis67 New Member

TTT

3. zammerak

zammerak Member

When fleshing did you apply too much pressure? I know when I did squirrels last season i over did it on a few and that caused Slippage. It might help if you gave us a run down on what you all did up to this point so we can try to identify the issue.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

What part of the squirrel is slipping? Tail run a cord up the tail so the solution can get to it
    Are you wearing gloves while skinning them? Body heat (finger and hands) can cause it. Along with excessive wire wheel heat

5. clovis67

clovis67 New Member

So far the slipping has occurred on the lower back.I have been putting the skins in krowtan along side deer hides.Do I need to mix up some krowtan for squirrels only? do I need to stop neutralizing them ?

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I'm not a krowtan fan for many reasons. Yes it works but I've always heard of stuff happening with it. So I really can't answer that when it comes to krowtan.
    I'm a fan of doing it the way tanneries do their work, pickle , neutralize, tan (ez-100 ) is my tanning agent. It's very economical to use and produces one of the best tans on the market. It's also a garment tan where as many of the tans that are used today are not. It's not saying other tans aren't good for us but they are used by the home tanner for this industry which is fine. Your soak tans is the best. You may want to look into other tans.
    It won't stop slippage but you know what your getting when you use it and it's a lot easier to figure out if you slippage afterwards. Plus their are many good rub one tans if you want to look into them. I always look into those that are stable (no mixing or just a mild shake) that work fine- Liqua-tan-tru-bond and Pro-1 do some fine work as for a rub on tan.