1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hoodie

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by critterstuffr, Jan 16, 2017.

1. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Good morning. Can someone help me out? I need to know the steps and materials you use to achieve a great looking crest on a Hooded Merganser. I have done plenty of birds but have never been happy with the outcome of my Hoodies. With that being said I've only mounted 3-4 of the species. I just got one in yesterday and would like to really knock it out of the park as it's a young mans first duck. I understand the fleshing , degreasing and drying completely parts. I use Cory's heads and bodies. I also have read the just shoot some caulk up there threads. I need the steps you use to achieve a great looking crest. Where to place pins,to build up the head, where to place the calk etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Well what this says to me is one of two things. All 146 of you that have read this suck at getting a crest on a hooded merganser to look correct as I do. Or your protecting the information that your great, great, great grand father passed down through your family and you were sworn to secrecy about this information. Good news is I'll figure this out on my own. Bad news is the 5-6 of you that could have helped didn't and that makes you a bunch of ASSHATS! Do you wonder why this Forum isn't what it used to be and a lot of good people aren't on here anymore? DING DING DING . . . . here's your answer. I should have known better but I forgot what happened to Wolfgang on here! :mad:

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm one of the 146. Only mounted 2 and they both looked like crap. I, as I'm sure you have, have read numerous posts on the topic and have found that everyone has a different"trick" to doing it. The only video that I know of that deals with Hoodies is by Matt Smith. I do not own the video. I feel your frustration, but I think you'll just have to pick a "trick" and try it. If I knew how to do it I would have posted. If by chance you do figure it out...Please post, or PM me and let me know.

4. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Exactlly , what you said....

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Wow and you think that reply is going to help? After only one day of the request being posted. You can always purchase Matt Smith's video on Hoodies and learn what you are wanting from one of the best Hoodie mounters out there.

6. bowelk

bowelk Member

Come on Critter, before you blame the planet for your own inadequacy to produce this mount, how about doing a little leg work yourself? Matt Smith has a fabulous DVD that perfectly takes you through the entire mounting process, start to finish, of a hooded merganser. Granted, there is an investment of both time and money on your part to acquire this knowledge, it has been there for the taking. Not all things in life are free, and in this case, this DVD set - but in the end, you should find exactly what you're looking for with the flick of a credit card. You're welcome!

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nobody is obligated to answer your questions, folks can if they choose and it appears that nobody, that knows the answer, has chosen to, yet, and likely won't now but, in the spirit of helping, I myself use a combination of caulk and cotton batting and babysit til dry.

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Well let me start out with a question. Where you knowledgeable folks included in the 146 readers yesterday? If so why didn't you chime in with your expert opinions then. Don't get me wrong I have big shoulders and thick skinned enough to handle the replies. What gets to me is the assumptions that I haven't done some research, looked into videos or that I was against "Swiping my credit card". truth is none of you know anything more about me than I do you. Well until you shine a light on yourself as some of you have. Then it's plain to see. I can tell you one thing for sure if someone on here asked a question and I thought my knowledge/experience could help I shared it without a question. Silly me I thought that's what this Forum was for? Apparently it was to help overinflate some in my opinion already over inflated egos. I wish folks would remember I'm not the taxidermist down the road you fear is going to take your business if you share some knowledge. Just a guy who needed some advise on how to make a Hoodie crest look better for a young mans first duck. Stopping short of "George'ing it" Let me ask one more thing . . . Post a picture of a Hooded Merganser you've mounted with the crest up. I like to compete against the best so when I figure this out and I will I'll know it measures up. P.S Brooke when I do I'll PM ya and share. To all a good day.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    critterstuffr, allow me to throw this back at you. Maybe they didn't have time to give you a step by step tutorial and just breezed through, like I did, or maybe it was folks looking for the same info or at least some hints. I am far from a bird expert but did give you some insight to my methods, when I had a chance.

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,403460.0.html
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,401578.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,401278.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,300468.msg2065608.html#msg2065608

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,369819.msg2482560.html#msg2482560

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,313678.msg2147827.html#msg2147827

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,215129.msg1526139.html#msg1526139

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,296432.msg2042278.html#msg2042278
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,164011.msg1140036.html#msg1140036
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,12321.msg64078.html#msg64078
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,66091.msg412912.html#msg412912

11. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Fair enough. I've watched your work for a long time. In my book your birds look as good as any ones. I would bet everyone that is the elite of the bird mounters world received help from someone along the way be it in person , by pictures or video. So why not pay it forward? Not looking for an argument or hard feelings it was just a question. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for your time 3bears

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome. For the record I miss wolfgang's posts as well. I learned a ton from those and asking him questions.

13. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Thanks bucksnort10. I found Ryan's post but the pictures were gone. I checked the archives nothing turned up. These will help.

14. KLFL

KLFL Active Member

I was one or possibly 5 of the 146 viewers, I viewed it to see if anyone left any good feedback how to do one. Since I get them from time to time, so Id like read how to do one aswell

15. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

You are welcome.
    It took a little time with the advanced search function. But, I enjoyed reading them too.
    There are some good suggestions from some really good taxis in there.
    Dan

16. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

The only point I would like to make is . Why didn't you use the damn search button and your own time to find the info rather than having someone do it for you ? Type in Hooded Merganser in the search box with the bird forum pulled up and there is 7 pages of topic. The same stuff bucksnort10 found for you .

17. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Just came across this thread. I could tell you exactly how to do it but your attitude tends to curb the desire to help you out. The info is out there and without spending any money on a video, although you might learn a lot from it. Matts way is just one of many but it's nothing new. Guess I did offer a little help after all.

18. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Jim it was more frustration than attitude. I started this taxi stuff back in the late 70's when you couldn't get someone to share a technique if you put a gun to their head. I thought and hoped things with U-Tube , instant videos on cell phones and the internet would make things change. If you check my posts I've shared my knowledge and information hundreds of times so I think my attitude is in check. You can still post your information as you've read others are in need also. I wont look I promise. idbatman if you'd read my posts I did use the search and all I found was the post from Ryan and I read them and all the other ones but the pics were not there. Like I said I'll fig this out with the information that was shared. I've got a game plan and if it works I'll share it with those that need it. No hard feelings on either side I hope.

19. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

Not claiming to be an expert here. My .02 on info sharing isn't being guarded on info.I answer a lot of how to phone calls and e-mails. I t is simply time. Usually too busy to respond. But today is a sick day out of the shop. So here is how I do it. First make sure the skin on the head is properly cleaned. Scrape it to make sure the feather butts are separated . You want to do the best you can not to have it dry as a feather track. More like individual feathers. Hard to do. Get it shaved down as much as possible. Really wash the bird super clean. Oily looking-feeling feathers will kill you. Before glueing skin to head put just a spread a dab of chalk on top of skull. Not a lot, don't want it leaking thru eyes. Plus you are not rebuilding the skull, there was not a big lump on the skull when you skinned it. No need to replace something that was not there. You are just helping the skin to stay put where you want it. Then I push the skin forward with a pin. Your eye sets will determine how far. Then I use air to fluff the crown. One thing that looks nice is to keep the black line on the ends of crown uniform and full, not all fizzed out. Some birds just have better crowns than others. You can drive yourself nuts trying to make it fuller than it is. Just take what it will give you. Go for clean, full and uniform. Keeping it there is a matter of going back for the next 3-4 days and hitting it with air. I have hung them upside down at times,to let gravity do its thing. But rarely anymore. As I saidI don't claim to be an expert on them. If you do 10 of them there is bound to be a couple that the crowns shifts when drying. They are one of the hardest ducks to do well.[​IMG]

20. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Tim that bird is incredible! Seems when it's for a kid I over think things. You only get your first ducks once and I really want to make it as good as I can. I still remember mine 38 yrs. later. Shot a Ruddy duck out of a Layout boat in the western end of Lake Erie. Thanks for the info I will share pics when I'm done. Hope your feeling better soon.