1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Russian rat snake (Elaphe schrenckii)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by ElephasMaximus, Jan 19, 2017.

1. In progress...
    [​IMG]

2. looks like a lot of work.........tedious??

3. 25%
    [​IMG]

4. stijn_

stijn_ New Member

Amazing!!
    What glue do you use?
    Thank you!

5. Moment Gel superglue. Smaller ribs are glued easily, larger ones need support until glue sets completely.
    Vertebrae were reinforced with iquid superglue as the spine was posed.

6. 50%
    [​IMG]

7. stijn_

stijn_ New Member

Thank you!!
    Looks amazing

How do you support the bigger ribs :) ?
    Thanks!!

8. Manually.

9. 75%
    [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

11. Wouter

Wouter Member

Great piece of work, and I thought I was pestering myself glueing fish skulls together from loose parts ;D
    What's the size of this snake?

Wouter

12. It's about 120 cm long, the dome is 27 high/15 wide, from Ikea.
    [​IMG]

13. Yes, very nice work !
    I'll have to do a similar work out of my ball python but I prefer finishing a couple fish and maybe bird before. Covering a quarter of the body with ribs per day looks fast for me.
    For now my python is fully clean, separated in 9 sections, skull and tail are reconstructed. Next step will be to assemble spine and give the wanted shape.

14. One rib got shifted while installing the dome, as you see.
    This snake has a few other flaws: missing some first & last pairs of ribs, and some rib tips due to bad necropsy.

If your python is large enough, consider drilling & wiring the ribs, they're much more easy to pose correctly than just gluing.

The spine wire has same diameter down to the point where tail touches the ground.

15. The python is 1,19 m long so almost like your snake. Yes, I've already drilled and put wire in ribs to gain time when gluing, except the first 20 pair of ribs or so that are just too thin to do this on my specimen. Pose will be a "ball" so not an easy thing to do for a first snake but it should be cool I hope.
    Ok, thanks, I was thinking of using 2 twisted wires for the body and just one in tail but maybe I should put just one like you. Snake's vertebra hold tightly so it should work.

16. 2 twisted wires may work better than single thinner one. They would give more friction. Vertebrae may hold tightly together but they will turn around the wire...