1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

SHIPPING COST????

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Edrevord, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

I am a new taxidermist and i have recently been finding out that when you order from supply companies like VanDykes, the shipping cost of the products is OUTRAGEOUS! Is there any places, tips, tricks or anything to get around some of these costs? Or is that the way it is?

2. If you can order enough forms at once, go with freight. Also depends on where you are, but heard great things about speedy.

3. If you can't drive their and pick it up for less than the shipping,,, then it's just the cost of doing business out of town,,

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The shipping costs are no more outrageous than ordering products of the same size and weight from any other supplier/vendor from in any other industry. It is the cost of doing business. It is up to the individual business to determine how to best to have the product delivered in a time frame he or she needs and in the most economical means possible. It is hard when you are starting out to buy in bulk, but you need to learn to order in such a way as to get the maximum possible product per shipment. Personally, I have found I can order 3, sometimes 4 forms along with incidental supplies (being careful not to drive the weight up - I don't order 25 lbs of clay with that order) and keep the shipping costs down. I try to fill one large box per shipment. Shipping, overall, costs me about $20-$25 per mount. I don't live in a very convenient area either. All my shipping is done UPS. It takes a little time to figure out what the most economic means, amounts, etc., but that responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the buyer, not the suppliers. I know McKenzies offers discounts and points that can be saved up and applied toward shipping or product which (which I take advantage of). Suppliers, for the most part, are doing their best to give supplies at a fair price...shipping is really out of their hands.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If your in business, it is, at least for me, a non issue. If you are a hobbyist, it is disappointing to see the money going to shipping. As was mentioned earlier, When I buy a form for a personal mount, it comes with a box of customer's stuff also, so the shipping isn't felt, however, when I buy a turkey decoy from any company, the shipping is felt. Shipping isn't just part of doing business, it's a part of life.

6. With the current cost of fuel, shipping should not be so expensive. Necessary, yes.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Shipping is more than just the cost of fuel. It also has to do with packing materials, wages for those who package your items, and other things beyond the actual shipper costs. Companies who charge less probably have less overhead to cover as well as possibly using inferior shipping materials.

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

It is painful! As a hobbyist only (no commercial work) myself I battle this by skinning several items, picking the forms and then ordering all at once. It doesn't cost but a couple bucks more to have two fox forms put in one box than one so it reduces the cost per form being shipped. I have got as many as five mammal forms in the same box. And by placing a bigger order instead of several small orders you get a bit of a volume discount. My $0.02 worth.

9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

a buddy of mine is just learning and has one deer to mount, his own, that he shot this past season. one form from McKenzie 73.00 shipping was just about $35.00

thats not right. i didnt realize rates were that high.

10. when ordering smaller stuff... Call them up and ask whats the cheapest shipping they offer....

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Geez. I don"t think I've ever seen this question posed before............................................at least not in the last 7 days.

Bottom line : SHIPPING NEVER COSTS YOU A DIME. (That is, if you're a smart business person and include it into your costs/profits figures before you put the price on your work.)

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You're wasting your time George. Some people can't be helped.

13. msestak

i read the shipping rates on McKenzies' web site. UPS changed the way they charge for packages. its a weight issue up to a certain size, then its a size issue. basically one deer shoulder form could possibly be shipped at the 67lb rate

check it out. regardless of weight, if its over a certain size, they have a math formula that ups follows.

a 30lb box could cost twice as much to ship.

14. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Shipping from a hub makes a big difference. The one I go to never measures any box its all about weight. What the website
    says and how the hub does it is totally different.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, I fear you're right, but I try. Just today, in fact less than5 hours ago EST, I dropped off two boxes at the UPS Terminall. Rates are cheaper there than taking it to the UPS Store which is a bit closer. In one box, I had two sets of velvet antlers going to Virginia. I'd put them iinside a styrofoam cooler and then built a cardboard box around it. The antlers were frozen and packed in bubble wrap inside the box. The mox measured 21 inches long, 15 inches wide, and 14 inches high. It weighed 11.12 pounds. The second box contained salt dried hides (one large raccoon, one cub bear 1/2 lifesize, and one fawn deer hide) going to the tannery in NC. The box was 18 x 18 x11 and weighed 10.75 pounds.

When I got there, even this old fat guy was able to stack one box on another and carry them. Even though I have a triple chin, the boxes combined didn't come up to it.

Box one. Charged as a minimum of 22 pounds at a cost of $24.26.

Box two. Charged as a minimum of 22 pounds at a cost of $16.55

Total cost of those two boxes was $40.81.

I know damned good and well the amount in those two boxes wouldn't have cost me that much through McKenzie as their costs are discounted because of volume.

16. msestak

this is the shipping info i was talking about

Attached Files:

17. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Cole, I do believe this category is labeled beginners for a reason.....

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

How I got around paying shipping charges was to start doing taxidermy for customers. That way they payed for my shipping bill. I just wait until I have a good sized order and throw my personal stuff in there with it. The customers pay for the bulk of it. I realize that being new, you can't really do that.
    For now you just have to suck it up and pay it if you want to continue to do taxidermy, as much as it sucks to do so.

19. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Thanks for the info!

20. msestak

using what i posted above, a box that measures 33 x 21 x 16 could weigh 20 lbs but UPS will charge you for 67 lbs and you guys are OK with that ?

i understand you pass the costs on to the customers (not a beginner) but its a scam and you know it.