1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

64d

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by K1976g, Jan 20, 2017.

1. K1976g

K1976g New Member

My wife shot a heavy horned wide 6 pointer. Dropped it off at taxidermist and he recommended the 64d form. What are you guys opinion of this form as professionals. Would post pic but forgot how

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Are you asking about the pose or the actual form.

3. K1976g

K1976g New Member

Oh sorry the pose.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I rarely do whitetails, so I have to ask, what company makes the 64d?

5. Just mounted one 64d yesterday. I use the form when customer asks for it or when I want a head down pose. It tends to be slim in the face, so I widen it a bit. I like the overall form and its pose. Sorry, no pic.

6. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Personally, I like the mears heads down way better.

7. K1976g

K1976g New Member

I noticed that about the face looks real narrow.

8. K1976g

K1976g New Member

It's a mkinzie form 6400 head down

9. Just a thought............why aren't you working with the taxidermist that's going to mount your wifes buck? He/she must have had a reason to suggest the 64.

10. K1976g

K1976g New Member

I don't want to be that customer that bugs him. I like the aggressive pose he suggested. After looking online it just seems that a lot of taxidermist don't seem to like this pose. More than anything I'm just curious as to why? For the record I value his opinion that's why I went with it! He is a great taxidermist. Not going to change my mind just wondering why so many do t like the pose?

11. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

People seem to like them. The head down props the antlers forward and displays them in a way people seem to like.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

If you like the pose, it is all that matters. I like upright forms. Taxidermists on here try to talk the customer out of them and if it is a straight, some flatly refuse to do them.
    My point is, it doesn't matter that taxidermists like the pose or not, if you like it, that's what matters.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My opinion??? It's a clusterflock. It's unrealistic and unnatural. And YES, I've used it on one of my own deer and as soon as I got an extra hide, it was remounted. I want one of you to show me any picture of a deer with its head in this posture WHO IS NOT FIGHTING. 64U? Different thing. Often looking up like that. When a deer looks down at something, it bends its neck not its head.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Most customers that want that type of pose want to show off the antlers if they are up higher on the wall, that's what they tell me anyway. Guess your not fond of those horse chess piece looking forms George.

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

If your taxidermist is good the mount will look good. I use them from time to time but usually use the Mears version, although the 64d has some things that I like.

Why would he recommend it? I don't know. Here is a deer I recommended the customer use a similar form. Easy to see why. Another reason are odd points that you want to have stand out.

[​IMG]

16. I see deer in this pose every year. Not the most natural and pretty that everyone always notices, but they look down at stuff all the time. With the right ear set this pose makes a great inquisitive look. This pose isn't for everyone but it is realistic in the fact that a deer can and does assume this pose. IMO Most often I see them do this when a bird or chipmunk is on the ground in front of them.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Never said the didn't "look down at stuff". Said they don't bend their head at the Atlas joint to look down, rather they bend their entire neck from the shoulders.

18. I find with my customer women like this pose has a little femine look to it I have done this actually for customers with small basket racks versus something big tends to make the rack appear bigger wouldn't do it with a big rack .Little unnatural but to each his own .

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

It's meant to be an aggressive look. I like the look IF the ears are pinned back and his hackles are up along with an aggressive eye set.

20. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The form is supposed to represent this stance of an aggressive buck but can be used for other things.

[​IMG]