1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan info, mixing issues

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Wingnut, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Member

I just mixed the correct amounts and ingredients for a two and a half gallon water mixture of Krowtan, with proper amounts of Krowtan 2000 and salt, when stirring, the mixture began to form a brown scum on the surface of the liquid within the clean plastic bucket I mixed in, and within minutes, this brown "scum" turned into almost an "oily" thick film upon the surface of the solution. The Krowtan was purchased last September, from McKenzie, a new bottle just opened today, and I noticed, also, that the Krowtan has turned dark brown within the shipping container, and has dark brown flakes and flecks within the acid itself. Does anyone know if this is normal, is the material too old, at five months to utilize, do you scoop off this "scum" and continue, or discard this container? I'm new to Krowtan, and wanted to try it for myself, having heard good results are obtainable, but, I don't think any of us would drop their prized fox hides into this concoction, as is! Any ideas? Thanks!

2. I use krowtan on everything I tan. I have had that exact same thing happen to me once. That bottle of tan is NO GOOD. The shelf life of krowtan is only about 4 months for best results. One must be sure to shake it up in bottle before placing in mixture. Also idk about u but I use very warm water for my tanning process because it makes it more pliable in my opinion. Dont b discouraged it's a great tan. Hope this helps.
    Xtreme wildlife taxidermy
    Jesse

3. Bulldog 32

Bulldog 32 New Member

I have seen the same thing using krowtan. Krowtan has oil in it and the whitetail special formula has even more of this oil added to it. The brown separation is in my experience the oils separating from the other ingredients. Shake very well to completely mix ingredients. I have never had a issue with the tan even with bottles over six months old. But if you ever have a concern call the makers of krowtan they are always happy to help with any questions.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Member

Thanks for the input on using the Krowtan! It seems my material is old, as I was able to contact Krowtan folks, and it seems the material is simply a bit out-dated and separated. Yes, shaking helps, but, not with the solution not mixing well with warm water.. They said I could skim off the oil scum and continue, but, I agree, if the solution is expelling an important part of the mix, the tanning oil, it would be best to discard the entire old bottle. I just received my new bottle, and the liquid has no chunks or debris within it, so, I'm going with the new mixture! Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Krowtan works for me! Thanks! Wingnut

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

This is just another reason why I don't like any tan that has a shelf life. I use one (ez-100) and has no self life. Gives a much better tan than Krowtan JMO