1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2017 What's on Your Workbench

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 22, 2017.

1. They look great Jay!

2. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

master Tom, I pull my head down

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

they look great

4. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Great feeders!

6. Nice job.

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Great pieces! I know some don't like it, but I love it when a customer sends me a picture of how they want thier bird mounted.

[​IMG]

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't mind it Brooke, unless they want an elaborate pose using a pin feathered, shot to hell dog chewed bird. I tell them I'll see what I can do but they have to be open to something different. I think you did well on that mallard.

9. I like it too, because I don't have to figure out what pose to put the mount in. You did a great job on that mallard. You nailed the pose!

10. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Same here Brooke!! But if it's a picture of someone else's mount I tell them it will be used as a guide!

15 pages long already -- two thumbs up!!

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

tell them to find a picture of a live bird....some mount pics may look good but make no sense as to what the bird is supposed to be doing....I .will never copy a pic of a mount!

12. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Byrdman,
    I ask this respectfully, but for clarity.
    If someone sends you a photo of a mount that ribboned at the WTC and asks you to duplicate the pose as best you can, you wouldn't do it?
    I've been asked to mount birds from pics of poor poses and had to politely explain that I disagreed with it. I then try to show or explain what I think would be correct.
    I've also had customers ask to me duplicate a pose of a mounted bird that was stunning! I tell them that I'll do my best, but admittedly, I'm no Todd Huffman! Always seems like it's one of his birds...LOL
    All that said, I absolutely agree that when using reference, pics of live birds should be used. Really, there's just no excuse anymore. Reference is soooo readily available.

13. I absolutely agree with you Tom...that's EXACTLY what I tell my customers.I have lots of printed out reference pics of other peoples work...! :)

14. byrdman

If its clear what the bird is doing and its portrayed properly then yes(depending on the color of the ribbon lol ),but hardly has anyone ever brought me a pic of a winning mount...normally a pic off a website or duck hunting site...you need to display a persons trophy as they want....within reason

15. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I humbly agree, byrdman. I fully realize that I went to an extreme with my question and I did so only to generate some healthy debate. No one has ever come to me after the WTC and said, "Here, I want it to look like this." No one is EVER gonna come to ME and say that!....LOL. I'm nobody... Just a guy trying to do well and get better.

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    byrdman, I know the color of the ribbon wouldn't matter to you, you would say "I can do better".
    Tom, Don't sell yourself short.

17. byrdman

3bears you certainly dont know me or what I would say or do ......even if I could do better I would never say it....so dont quote with your fast fingers what your big mouth cant back up....taxidermy competitions are like baseball umpires.....subject to one mans interpretation.....whatever the "strike zone" is that day....

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OK byrdman, you are right, I don't know you. You may think it, is what I should have typed. I wouldn't type anything that I wouldn't say to your face but, it was intended all in fun.

19. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    latest quacker preening [​IMG]

20. Nice mount 3bears! Would you mind telling me how you got the vandykes poster? I would like to get one.