1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2017 What's on Your Workbench

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 22, 2017.

1. BDA

BDA New Member

Thanks all. The rock is a wall mount design, and it was purchased. Really actually struggle finding what I want rock wise. There doesn't seem to be much designed for birds and wall use.

Will add the hen at some point. That or wait til I get a nice common next year.

I like the Euro, was considering a similar pose for one of mine. Either that or an eider next.

2. May I ask where you purchased the rock?

3. You can make those rocks with the silicone and paint molds . cast them in bondo and paint .

4. So many great mounts on this thread. Love the Canada, Mallards. Killer attitude.

Also, digging the speck and storm wigeon. Ya'll are inspiring!

5. BDA

BDA New Member

McKenzie
    URV-101

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Down here in Texas we don't get many of these to do. Got 2 more to do and he gifted me 6 of them

Attached Files:

• aaaa.jpg
      aaaa.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  7. FF/Birdman

FF/Birdman Active Member

Beautiful job Barry. Thanks for posting, Paul.

8. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Looks great Barry. About as close as we get to those down here is a canvasback

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Barry, nice job! Can't wait to see it finished.

I am interested in your mounting stand? I can see the base of it, how is the bird attached?

10. Wildthings

Thanks! It's a pipe with a flat plate on the bottom bolted to a wheel rim. Rim's filled with concrete. Then a smaller diameter pipe telescopes into that one. The smaller pipe has a section of pipe welded to the top to make a "T". Another smaller pipe has a flat plate welded to it. That telescopes into that earlier "T". The "mount" is attached to the flat plate. Each section of pipe has a nut welded to it with a tee handled bolt that you tighten down on the internal pipe to lock it in place. I drew up some plans and will try to post them. I'll get some pictures for you

edited to add picture:

Attached Files:

11. BrookeSFD16

Sweet...I understand the concept, but how are you attaching the body wire?

12. Wildthings

Oh! When I prep my body, on the show side of the bird in the armpit area I prepunch a hole about a 1/4 way in. Then after my bird is sewn up and skin pulled forward while it's still on the table I raise the wings and find my previous mentioned hole. Make a slit in the skin, pin feathers out of the way and push my attachment wire (in this case an 8 gauge) through the body. The other end of the wire has a "U" bend in it that I embed all the way into the body. Pull the feather pins fluff it up, reposition wings and slide it through the hole in the cedar

Capiche?

13. BrookeSFD16

I do...But I meant how do you attach the body wire to your mounting stand? Does it just go into the top pipe, and then you tighten the handle. Sorry I'm not asking correctly.... Remember I'm blonde.:D

14. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

looks like it is attached to the driftwood in the picture and wood attached to stand i believe

15. Wildthings

Exactly

I attach my cedar wood to the flat part of the mounting stand with 2 screws. It already has a hole drilled in it. I slide the attachment wire through it and screw it in place. So my answer is: the wire goes to the cedar driftwood, it does not go to the mounting stand. The cedar driftwood is attached to the mounting stand

Attached Files:

16. BrookeSFD16

Lol. I just now noticed the driftwood???:-\

Like I said...I'm blonde. I'm trying to figure out how the heck the body wire was attached to the stand and got total tunnel vision. Thank you Barry for being patient.

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

Is it the lighting or did you paint the bill blue on the eider?

18. Wildthings

It does have a slight bluish tint to it not as vivid as in that picture

19. Great work everyone....for today, it's a ringneck pheasant, color like a good cappuccino.
    Still need painting..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a nice Day, Florian

20. BrookeSFD16

Woodduck#3 for a 3 duck mount.

[​IMG]