1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin casting resin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by david301, Jan 22, 2017.

  1. Anyone know what kind of clear casting plastic resin works best that I could use to cast my fins for my original reproductions. Looking for something that I can bend with a heat gun if desired. Something along the lines of what the lake country replica fins are made of. Thanks
  2. JE

    JE Well-Known Member

    Take a look at Rick Kranes web site https://anglersartistry.com/store/
    Pretty sure he sells the stuff, I just wish I could get it over here !

  3. It may depend on your process, mold type etc.
    Viscosities of fin resins vary, and are applied to the mold differently.
    For example Fin magic is a two part paste, where as Innovative Polymers, uses a liquid viscosity, unless they have a new product..
  4. thanks guys, Im sure if its too thin for my molds I could use a filler to thicken it up a bit correct.
  5. Cory

    Cory Keep an eye on quality!

    Are you using a glove mold or a two piece mold or a two piece mold that you are trying to use as a glove mold? Pressure casting or not? All of these matter.
  6. using a 2 piece mold no glove.
  7. You can still use a low viscosity casting resin with a two part mold. I personally like IE3080. Gives me a little more working time and the majority of my molds are bondo.
  8. Cory

    Cory Keep an eye on quality!

    ^^^What Jamie11 said. You can take your two piece mold and seal around the edges where you're not wanting any to leak out. With Bondo two piece molds, if planning correctly, you can actually mold in a funnel at the fin butt that allows you to pour a material such as ie3080 into the cavity. Hope this helps.
  9. Perk

    Perk Deuce, My grouse dog

    When I make two part bondo fin molds I wrap a piece of screen spline around the fin when I bed it in the high fiber. This creates a casket and eliminates any leakage. Screen spline is the rubber tubing used to make window screens and is available at any hardware store. Runs about 4 cents a foot.
    Jkostella likes this.