1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail ear method with earliners, Bondo and the cartlidge left intact

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterArchery, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    You are confused because you still resist the darkness! We all feel the conflict in your soul! Come.....give yourself over, reject anything that makes sense, and join us on the dark side!!

2. Ron B

Alabama
    Bondo....and anybody who tells you different is an arrogant ass and should be banned from this site!!

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

msestak, since no where in this long thread was competition mentioned, I would think it is a safe bet that your question has been answered many times in many ways by many people.

Incase you missed all of those, here it is; EAR LINERS with ADHESIVE and cartilage REMOVED. Or at least in my world that's what got out of it.

4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

relax, i guess my question wasn't that funny :)

5. Ron B

Alabama
    I got it!! ;)

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Now I get it. How about; I was being sarcastic and agreeing with Ron. Bondo beats all. I wish could recognize sarcasm better than give it.

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

My preferred method is to remove the cartilage, use the Research Mannikins plastic earliners, build my ear butts out of clay, and glue them in with epo-grip. Its not the only way, but its the way i prefer.

8. Ear debates are always the freaking best on here lmfao. Personally from a high quality standpoint ya just can't beat a well done ear with a liner. Gives you thin crisp edges every time. With a good water based glue you can really work the skin around and get a terrific ear to ear butt connection. But from a commercial production shop bondo is tough to argue with. It's fast as hell. Pretty cost efficient. And a well done bondo ear will get the job done. Lately all my commercial pieces are bondo ears. But when I do my next comp piece or showroom piece you bet your ass it'll be liners.

9. msestak

what would be really neat. if one of the chemical manufacturers could come up with something to paint on the ear cartilage once the ear is turned and treated to immediately and permanently stiffen it.

that way, you could apply some type of slow setting skin bonding glue, not hide paste, but maybe an epoxy of sorts, turn the ear right side out and Wa-La.....done.

no fuss, no muss, no drumming, and proper thickness. might be worth looking into.

10. Thanks Lance - and that is simply what I was referring to - COMMERCIAL WORK - not competition at all!

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

At my age, Ive used so many combination of products to develop an opinion, a preference. And thats with doing many, not just a few as a test. My experience with epoxy has the hair laying too flat, or looking too harsh, and I really dont like how that looks. Also, some epoxies will bleed onto the hair or discolor it, I assume if theyre a critical mix type. Plus, I really like some adjustment time once mounted, so to me, personally, its truly a no-brainer to use an exceptional water based adhesive with liners. Liners that fit. I always mention, in every bondo ear debate I get into, about filler vs adhesive, overall appearance, and drummming, and guys will usually debate me. But I also mention how the upper ear edge rolls inward, making it hard to properly set the hair, and the lower edge wants to roll backward. But nobody seems to want to address that part, lol.

Theres some reasons why I want my commercial work to look like comp work. And I charge enough to be able to do it that way. BUT, again...it doesnt mean that guys who dont do that, or disagree with me, are wrong. We just are doing different things.

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

bill i know what you mean about the rolling of the ear. i could not under stand why it did that. i persume theres no way of fixing that other than liners?

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Liners and adhesive for commercial work. That's what I'm talking about.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Tem, some of the better bondo guys find ways to lay the ear flat and kinda flatten the edge, for the bottom edge shape, with decent results. In my opinion anyway, I havent seen where guys have properly corrected the issue with the upper inner edge. It appears that the ear skin in front reacts differently than the ear skin in the back, as far as how it relaxes or pulls, thus the shift, and the overlapping roll.

15. msestak

would magic smooth be a better option instead of bondo ? or since its an epoxy, would that bleed through also ?

never used it, just wondering.

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I use it and have not noticed any bleed through.