1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

auto tanner and mckenzie acid

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by the grey, Jan 25, 2017.

1. the grey

the grey Member

how many gallons do you use for you guys that use McKenzie ultimate acid in the auto tanner? ive only done a couple capes so far with van dykes pickling crystals and I don't really like the lack of stretch that I'm getting compared to pickling in tubs with the mckenzie acid. Also ive put McKenzie brush on tan oil onto the capes after van dykes crystals and the capes turned a bright violet color. Not sure what is the deal with that. I don't really like having to go back to salting though. Not sure if there is some other suggestions out there.

2. Try my premium tanning crystals. They will give you great stretch!

3. joe  g

joe g New Member

The formula that i have used for years is 3 gallon of water, 3 oz safety acid, 3 pounds of salt and 3 oz of aluminum sulphate in my auto tanner for speed pickling. I have a timer on my wet drum that runs for 10 min every hour,deer capes are pickled in 18 to 20 hours, ready to nuetralize and shave.I use truebond 1000 for the tan, awesome results.

4. the grey

the grey Member

Thanks, Joe do you still have to salt your hides before the auto tanner or are they going right in? I might try the arrowhead crystals ive heard good things about them as well. Tazzymoto Id try your crystals but I think there too exspensive.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Joe, you said you shave after you neutralize you capes. May I ask why you shave after as opposed to before?

6. joe  g

joe g New Member

I salt my capes for no more than 8 hrs ,Ive found after doing several hundred capes this way that it firms up the skin for ease of turning lips,ears ,nose and eyes , then straight to pickle bath in wet drum.

7. joe  g

joe g New Member

As for the question of why I neutralize then shave, I shave my capes twice, first time after about 8 hrs of salting to drain off all fluids and firm up cape. I shave very thouroughly as to help acid penetrate while in wet drum overnight.Then I nuetralize for 1/2 hour , wash cape, spin water out of cape in a wash machine. My capes are now relaxed, clean and plump for final shaving and free of all the nasty acid bath. Ive done hundreds of capes this way,after shaved they absorb the true bond like a sponge.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Thank you.