1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mould on Leather

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Ginger2000, Jan 28, 2017.

  1. I managed to bag a Reindeer and a Kangaroo pelt yesterday but both are not in the best state. They look alright fur-side, but the leather side...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    [​IMG] (pretty sure the dark stains are mostly damp, they certianly feel it?)

    [​IMG]

    It doesn't look like much from the mobile pics, but there are loads of little spots of blue mold, particularly on the Kangaroo.

    The Kangaroo was hanging up in the garage, and given the condition of the Deer, I assume it also was kept in the garage. How how long exactly, I'm not sure, but it had to be long enough for mould to grow. Both also reek of damp.

    Currently I'm keeping them in my room in hopes that a warm and dry environment will aid their recovery, but to shift the blue mould stains, what should I wash with? I'm not gonna submerge the pelts, but I will try and use a damp cloth.

    I did a quick forum search and couldn't find much for ''Mold'' (other than actual casting, making and replicating things) and mould turned up three results that didn't actually discuss fungus growth. I'm not worried about it appearing on my other pelts since I put them all in storage (individual zip-lock bags and then into a box) to protect them from dust.
     
  2. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    6,500
    2,612
    MN
    The residual salt left in the skins attracted moisture from the environment and fostered the regrowth of the mold. Most forms of mold need 3 things to survive, moisture, organic material and temps above freezing. Scrub the mold off with with some detergent and water, you don't have to submerge them if you don't wish and dry them out. You can re-oil them if you wish, but they may need a little breaking or tumbling to soften them up again.
     

  3. Rhino

    Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

    You need to only soak up a small section of each skin to determine how they will hold up to rehydrating. Your probably not going to remove any stains, and the smell probably won't change much? Maybe a little.That kangaroo hide looks like it was oiled with kicking grease? Probably smells the worst of the two, doesn't it??. Hard to remove the odor of oxidizing oil. That's what happens to kicking grease over time. Natural animal fats in the grease. Same thing with mink oil. Sometimes this oxidizing oil can also cause skin breakdown. Maybe a little hard to rehydrate?

    Put a hand full of salt in a 1- liter pump spray bottle with water. Spray a small area, let it soak for 30min, then repeat. Pull on that wet area and see it it rips. If that spot holds, try one more area. You might remove some odor, and clean the skins a little, if you decide to try this, but they will probably dry back stiffer than they are now? Probably best to spray the hair side with some type of odor remover, and spray a small amount of some type of anti- mold/fungal product on the moldy spots? Just my opinion.