1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antler pinning

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ozzy49938, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hello,
    Wondering what pin you would use for setting up removable Elk antlers. The rack is a little over a 300 inch bull. Would you go with 1/2in or 5/8in tubing and 6 in or 4 1/2in long set. Do the pins come as a complete set. Or if I'm going to remove both antlers do I need to order two separate pins. Also if there is any tips you can give me on this so it goes smooth that would be greatly appreciated. First time trying removable antlers. A little nervous. Hate to screw up a guys mount, but it is the only way to get it out of my shop. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
    Ozzy

2. dcooper

dcooper Member

Just finished a fairly large Roosevelt and pinned both antlers. I went with the 5/8 width and 6 inch length. If you order them, they'll usually come as a set for one antler only. I draw lines across the skull plate in line with the antler which makes it easier when you start drilling into the base of each antler. When I start drilling, I'll use a smaller bit first and continue until I have a hole about 1 inch in diameter. Here are a couple of threads you can look at if you haven't seen them already. Good luck. I understand the nervousness, but take your time and you'll be fine.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,324535.0.html
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,379798.0.html

3. I buy square tubing from a local metal shop. MUCH CHEAPER buy it and cut to your needs. 5/8 is plenty and 1/2 will work as well. Have fun, nothing can go wrong that cant be fixed.

4. Thanks

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I use the methods shown above with one difference. I cover the end of the sleeve with a little duct instead of leaving the pin in. Had one where the pin got stuck when I waited too long to pull it out. Had to yank like heck to get it out.