1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andysmith, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

This is my 16th. Still wet so can adjust. Looking to improve . The ear is supposed to be hanging because it was like that when I shot him. Not sure where the right side pic went I'll get one later.
    Now I see the eye shape and ears are off. And all kinds of other problems.Looks terrible now that I look at the pics. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The dark V behind the nose pad is crooked. On the second pic you can see that the ear butt needs some work where the lower part of the blade meets the notch. That needs to flow better and the ear butt needs to extend lower. As you stated the eye shape needs to be adjusted.

3. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

Thank you bucknut. I think I need help more than a critique.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Look at your photos put up beside reference photos of live deer (there are lots of them in the reference photo tab located under the title of this forum category) and you will benable to pick up on some of the areas you are lacking.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Don't be to hard on yourself.there simple mistakes and it shows that you want to improve your work.before no time you'll look back at this and smile.keep it up man.

6. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trying again. I held references up to it. In person it looks very close but in pics they looks way off.

7. Grizz208

Grizz208 New Member

Did you use ear liners or bondo?

8. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

Lack of eye symmetry is the first things that pops out at me. Then the ear shape, and lack of definitive ear butt structure. the nose is off several degrees in a counterclockwise direction. The brisket looks misaligned. I see lots of deer heads that have that nose rotation thing going on. Most often, no one notices. Use the resources on this forum, and you'll be able to bring your work up to the level you are looking for.

9. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

The first step is to leave your ego at the door and be able to handle a critique . . . which you have. Well done. If you are to get better you need to use good photos of live deer. DO NOT USE OTHER PEOPLES MOUNTS AS REFERENCE. Up close pics of a deers ears, eyes, noses are out there everywhere. If you use them while your mounting each area and just considerate on one area at a time you'll be surprised on how much that will help it all come together. Your doing a good job for just starting out keep at it we were all there at one time.

10. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

Grizz I used liners
    Thank you everyone. I'll have new pics up later. You can't be to hard.

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Is it me or are the antlers offset slightly?

12. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I understand the desire to preserve your deer the way he was when shot, but I would advise against it in this case. If you were to bring it to me to mount, and ask for a drooping ear, I'd refuse, as I don't believe I could pull it off and still have an attractive mount. I wouldn't want my name on it. Now, add your lack of experience, it's just going to look like you have no idea what you are doing. It's the most glaring problem I see, why not fix it? I wouldn't mount a life size taking a dump if I shot it while doing so...you are looking for natural and lifelike first as a taxidermist IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Your antler set seems or is to low making your ear butt low also

14. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

Fair enough jared makes sense. I may change it
    Damn really to low? Cut open and shim?