1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TrapperRook, Feb 1, 2017.

1. TrapperRook

TrapperRook New Member

Hi I recently got into trapping and want to start tanning my furs. Couple of questions I have are: Do the pelts have to stay warm during the whole process? Because I would likely be in my garage where it is always cold during this time of year. How long does the pelt have to be salted for and can it stay salted for say a few weeks if I don't have time to work with it? A full explanation of the tanning process would be nice, or direct me to a place where it is given..

Thanks

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

All your answers are here, and welcome. If you like to learn start of by just using the search engine an just type in your needs. They should come up for you especially tanning , fleshing pickling salting.

Just a quick start no on the warmth, that can cause bacteria growth and that causes slippage.
    As for salting you salt 24 hours, let it drain on a slant so that the fluids that come off doesn't lay or puddle on the cape. Next day shake the old salt off and resalt. From there you can hang to dry till your ready to hydrate and begin the pickling process.
    Generally on small mammals I have a pickle made and do a quick wash and rinse in cool water and put my cape in the pickle with no salting.

3. I do exactly as he does, can't go wrong with that method.