1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer roadkill Update

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Ms.Rigor, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ms.Rigor

Ms.Rigor New Member

So a few months back I posted about collecting deer as well as other critters from the road side. This morning I decided to check on it after a few months of it being too cold to do any work in the garden with them. To my surprise the one that was left open to the elements looked a lot more skeletal than I had expected. I would have thought it would have been some what preserved from the cold. But apparently not! Would be greatly appreciated if anyone knew the type of deer it was. I'm in the UK if it helps at all.
    [​IMG]

It's now sitting in some peroxide in the laundry room :)

2. I can't see a photo of the deer in question. I'm in the UK too (Northern Ireland) so I'll throw up some pics of the Deer that I'm aware exist in the UK:

The first two are native to the United Kingdom.

Red Deer
    [​IMG]

Roe Deer
    [​IMG]

The following were (from what I've read) introduced to the UK.

Fallow Deer
    [​IMG]

Sika Deer
    [​IMG]

Muntjac Deer
    [​IMG]

I would post the Chinese Water Deer (as it's apparently among the list of UK deer) but they don't have antlers, they have tusks. Assuming that the deer you have has antlers of course. I also aimed for Male/Female group pics so you had an idea on what to look for (in regards to antler shape, sizes and coat patterns between the species).

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Muntjac also have tusks. Just not as long as the Chinese WD. I don't remember if the OP had pictures on the original thread or not.

4. Running Fox

Running Fox New Member

Nukawin, I thought you posted the muntjac deer as 'magestic' deer. Haha