1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air brush problems

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by mpitt, Feb 3, 2017.

1. mpitt

mpitt New Member

I have a iwatia and it's worked fine for several years but something just not right and I cant figure out what. 1st question anyone know where I could send it to be worked on? 2nd question Ive been thinking about getting a back up and now it's past thinking about it to having to get one. Any suggestions? Ive heard some good things about richpen.

2. bowelk

bowelk Member

You can send it Iwata-Medea and they will rebuild with new needle, nozzle, etc., repair, test it and return it. Not very costly either.

3. my custom micron iwata is being refurbished as we speak.

REPAIR RETURN OR WARRANTY CLAIMS PROCEDURE
    For repairs, please call 503-253-7308 ask for an RA (return authorization number) then mail, Fed-Ex or UPS your airbrush or air compressor to:
    Iwata Medea, Inc.
    1336 N. Mason
    Portland, OR 97217
    Attn: Repair/RA#_______
    ** Remember to include your RA#, name, address, phone number, and brief description of the problem or repair desired.

i mailed my airbrush out last saturday and they called me yesterday to say its all finished and was on its way back. Their customer service has been fantastic.

4. They did a great job on mine ,and fast service.

5. Brush Cleaner from Home Depot first. Tak,e it apart and dip it over night in a sealed container and put it together...then go the Return to Iwata road.

6. mpitt

mpitt New Member

thanks for the input, I will try the cleaner but will most likely send it to be fixed. Any opinions on an 2nd air brush? Don't want to spend $300 but need a good backup. Richpin? Badger?

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Try a Renegade Spirit ( side cup) from Badger. Hey, ask Paul Borkowski!

8. Methyl ethol Ketone Clean it , polish the needle, chcul it in a drill and polish the needle with 12,000 grit wet sand paper, and oil. Clean the barrel, replace the packing washer and nut. Lube it with airbrush lube, or even vaseline. I like vaseline it seems to work better. Reverse the trigger or replace it. lube the trigger pivot.

Once you have the needle and trigger int he air brush. use bees wax on the air caps threads and make sure as you tighten the head the needle is centered perfectly in the cone.

I can pull dots as small as this period . with one cleaned properly and centered as I mentioned. I clean with a product called Naked Gun. it is for cleaning spray guns and such.

You may want to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I can take a Pasche" VL and $3 tip and a #1 polished needle and get the finest detail you will see.

Do NOT SHOOT METALLIC PAINTS FROM THE SAME airbrush as you use for opaques and detail.

9. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Hobby Lobby carrys Iwata needles, tips etc. Those are the usual culprits that you can replace yourself. They also carry Iwata airbrushes.

10. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Can't really go wrong with a Badger Renegade Krome. Just over $100 and will detail as good as anything else out there, even ones costing 2 or 3 times as much. I had several CM's and found the Badgers easier to maintain and just as precise.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use a Paashe H with a number one tip. Can do anything the more expensive brushes do just by adding retarder and it's a KISS type of brush.

It's not the brush it's the artist!

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

No amount of polishing or retarder can make a airbrush with an orifice of .55mm perform as well as a .21mm one. That's a 62% reduction in size, just doesn't add up no matter how good the artist is.

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

True but how often does one need to go that small? And please don't tell me you tip rainbow trout scales with your airbrush like someone else here said. If so good for you but I'm after the green ribbons with president faces on them. I don't have time for that.

14. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

You and John both made fictitious claims which are misleading to people. I was simply pointing out what I learned from people that actually design and produce airbrushes.

I would never tip rainbow scales with airbrush. Tipping requires reflective paints , in my opinion. Those types do not flow through a .2mm orifice.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No a fictitious claim. And I didn't say you said it. Gary Bruch posted that on here once. And knowing him I believe him as he spends hours upon hours on his fish.

More power to him as his work is gorgeous just like yours, but I can't justify the time nor can I get the amount of money I should for that kind of time.

Gary?

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Can do anything the more expensive brushes do just by adding retarder.

I call that fictitious.

And as far as rainbow scales, you pretty much asked what I did or didn't do. I simply answered.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But then I'm not selling expensive airbrushes. LOL

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Now now gentlemen, no need to argue, I use a roller and bingo dobbers, , it's not the artist, it's how stupid the customer is! Lol