1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by davehyer, Feb 3, 2017.

1. davehyer

davehyer New Member

What are your favorite whitetail competition eyes?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I was turned onto the Liquid Lens eyes by a well known deer guy and can say they are pretty much all I use any more.

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

3BEARS. are they the ones that feel soft. like a rubber ball. got some from seconed 2 nature.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you're serious about competing at the highest level, then you're going to have to look into the "Russian eyes". They're a true 3D eye with a blue pupil when light contacts it. Now expect to pay 3 to 4 times what you would for the standard hemispherical glass eyes, but they definitely get your attention.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Tem, no they are the Meder/ McKenzie collaboration.

6. mpitt

mpitt New Member

Where do you get Russian eyes?

7. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Also interested in where to get the Russian eyes. Are they glass? I can't stand the plastic ones.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dennis Harris sells them.

9. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

One big problem with russian eyes is the shape is off. Its shaped like an old aspheric where they could have had a more correct shape like the trueye or meder eye.

10. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Talked to Dennis Harris last week as I needed a pair of African Lion eyes. He doesn't carry the reflective eyes any more.... Evidently the service was very poor... Matuska now carries them though, that is accept deer and the big African cats...... :-\

11. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I used meder eyes in my last two comp pcs, they look pretty good, but I don't like that step they have in them, its hard to clean paint out of, and the finish of the eye isn't as good beyond that step.

The tru eyes from epply have a smooth transition instead of a sharp step, but its hard to get them mounted and cleaned up good with out some scuffing or scratching.

I just bought some of payers top level whitetail eyes, they are ok, but I think the medium is still too dark, and the light is too light. The dark are damn near solid black, cant hardly see the pupil with a flash light.

Tohikan are just so so, and have that same sharp corner and dull finish.

Not sure what I should use.