1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Standing Duck Help

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rookie1971, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Rookie1971

Rookie1971 New Member

I'm going to be using foam neck material. How much should be used, without overstretched look?
    How much cotton do you use to fill chest area without looking overfilled?
    This is for a cinnamon teal standing, neck tucked down and in.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Replace what you took out or to match your references, every bird is different to, to some degree.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Remember too, that a dead neck that doesn't have blood pressure in it may not big as it was when alive.

4. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

As 3Bears said, measure the neck that came out of it and replace it with the exact same length. "I" measure from the front of the breast to the back of the skull. Now, when you go to the mannikin you'll typically find it has a recessed clavicle area. If you have measured your ducks neck from the front of the breast as I do, then you'll need to ADD the depth of the clavicle recess to your neck length or you'll wind up short.
    A ducks neck always has as least some degree of an "s" shape, even when flying. But when standing or resting, that "S" shape is very pronounced. That neck drops deep into that clavicle first and THEN comes up.
    Also, in that resting/standing pose you need to attach the neck low in the rear of the head... not in the back of the head. If you take the carcass and pose it you'll see all of it... back of the head juncture, "S" curve, clavicle and realize where "all that neck" winds up going.
    I think these are some of the main culprits of "my neck always comes out too long".
    Filling the breast in is a bit of trial and error, but on a teal you won't need much, even resting. Maybe a golf ball"s worth(?) Prolly not even that.Take a peek up in your incision and see what you think. Before you sew your breast incision, putt it up there with some tweezers. It should be loose and fluffy and just enough to support the skin.
    Hope this makes sense and helps at least a little. I strongly suggested in your other post that you get a video. It'll be the best money you spend. Guys have different methods of getting to the same place so if you can afford more than one, get a couple different taxidermists for different ideas. Read the archives... read and read and read some more. Darn near every question has been asked and answered. Not trying to discourage you from asking, just letting you know it's all there just waiting for you. Respectfully, Tom