1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to take dried skin off a skull?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Simms Creek Taxidermy, Feb 4, 2017.

1. I have a big deer skull that somebody found. It still has some of the skin on it, but it is dried hard. Does anybody have a way to take it off without damaging the skull?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    soak it.

3. In just plain water? Does it have to be boiling? Should i add anything to it?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hot water will expedite the process, but don't boil it. Boiling can degrade the bone.

5. Ok, thankyou for telling me. I really appreciate it.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's already mostly rotted so finish what nature started. Warm water only. Don't add anything else to it. keep the water warm for a week and just let the skull soak. If you can get a small fishtank heater into the bucket you are soaking it in, turn it up all the way so the water stays between 80 to 100 degrees. After a week or so the hide and dried flesh should have rotted away and loosened from the bone.

7. Like the others have said, a good soaking will do.

8. CH_Taxidermy

CH_Taxidermy New Member

Just soak it in clear water for 5-10 days, or until the hide is rehydrated and pliable. Prepare yourself for the stink of a lifetime, it only lasts a little while, but it will stink. I always like to add an odor-ban product of some sort (Oxi-Clean, Dawn, etc.) Depending on how long it's been dried, it might take some force to get the hide off. I'll use a pliers to keep pressure on the hide while skinning. Good luck! -Carson

9. Ok i will get it done. Thanks everyone for sharing their ways. I will post a picture when it is done.