1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any ideas on how this ice was made?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I saw it on Facebook. No comment from the taxidermist after a couple of us hinted we would be interested on how it was made.

I'm sure it's some form of resin but what intrigues me is the duplication of the cut marks an auger blade makes as it cuts through real ice. Also like the folds and cracks on the surface of the duplicated ice.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Saran wrap. resin and more saran wrap and resin.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Makes sense. What about the cut marks in the inside edge of ice hole that look like they were made by an auger?

Maybe you haven't seen that John being in Arkansas, but that's exactly what it looks like when you make an ice fishing hole with an auger up here in ice fishing country.

4. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Here again saran wrap and resin were used. The resin was not applied until it started to go off then the base was more than likely stood up on end or its side and the resin was applied to the sides of the hole one side at a time. The auger marks were cut into the resin until it set. Then more resin was applied to the cut out hole to hide in wrap edges and so on. Getting the cylindrical shape is another problem but nothing that thin flexible plastic wouldn't take care of that. Something the resin will not stick to. It would be time consuming but well the worth the wait. dang nice looking mount.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks!

6. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

This piece was done by Advanced taxidermy, I believe.. I know there are a few high end guys pouring creations like this from molds...Not saying that's how this was done but my guess is it was done combining two or more techniques...

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve.