1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sea duck smell...yuck!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jason Rader, Feb 4, 2017.

1. After skinning and thoroughly fleshing this hen surf scoter, I tossed her in a warm water bath with dawn. Using a stiff bristled toothbrush, i've scrubbed her all over making sure the skin is super clean. Multiple wash and rinses but I absolutely cannot get this fishy, raw smell to go away. This is my first dealings with a sea duck and have heard they do stink but this smell is gonna go away right? Any additional steps I can take beyond normal dawn washing and rinses?

2. nate

nate Active Member

It should go away. Sea ducks do stink. Brant also have their own odor. Not pleasent!!

3. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

try Downy rinse

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

That's the smell of Money!!

It goes away!

5. I use Downy when i rinse too and it helps but not completely. EVENTUALLY it will go away...:)

6. Ok well that's reassuring. Mounting this pair for the kansas show and trying to get them done early enough so maybe the smell will have time to fade. I'll mix a little downy in to see if that helps too. Thanks!

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

Try sitting in a boat with a 3 man limit of sea ducks and brant.enough to gag a friggin maggot.and the crap that comes out there ass leaves a stink in the boat for days.

8. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Dont forget that nasal drainage either.

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Scoters are real stinkers. Did a pelican last year. That was a real treat too.

10. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

I add some lysol to the dawn when washing-soaking. If they are cleaned well odor will go away.

11. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

after washing, soak in mineral spirits for 10 mins, tumble, dry and mount up as usual...kills the stink pretty good.

12. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I must be weird because I like that smell. I also like the smell of Pronghorn, and spent shotgun shells.

13. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Ya!!! Nothing stinks quite like a freezer burned diver. It takes days to get that smell out of my nose!