1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best tanning process/products for beginners?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Cargophora, Feb 6, 2017.

1. I'm really overwhelmed with how many different products there are and I'd really love to tan my own pelts (thinking on a scale of coyotes and anything smaller than that).
    While I'd like to eventually experiment with different types/brands of tans what would be something easy to start with? Are there any kits that are recommended for newbies that have a small margin of error of me goofing up?
    And maybe any clear video guides that are very thorough and easy to understand?

Thank you!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

So many companies with so many kits what to pick?
    They all work fine as long as you read and follow directions so pick one and go for it.
    If your looking into rub on tans I go for those that are a more stable rub on one tan, liqua-tan. tru-bond, or pro-1. There is little or no mixing at all. It's what we call stable, if you get the other ones to try make sure you mix them up well or you may have inconsistence work and not be happy with the turn out.

There is no one special tan out there for we all like what we work with and get the results that we are happy with. Go from here and just enjoy

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have tried many, many tans over the years. Of the three that Frank mentioned, I have only used one and that is Liqua-tan. I got it in a kit many, many years ago and have used it (the tan not the kit) ever since. I have used Ez 100 kit and then started buying the components separately. I used both tans for various projects and have been happy with both. I have used Liqu-tan much more than anything else because it isn't as time sensitive as others.

4. https://fleshingmachines.com/tanning-secrets-101-taxidermists-sportsmen-2

5. Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll definitely look into those and take a dive (and hopefully won't ruin my pelts). :)

6. machasamson

machasamson New Member

Re: Tannery Startup

I would like help in the Basic equipment needed in Starting a Leather Tannery for Cow Hides, on a commercial scale.

7. furtanshop

furtanshop New Member

machasamson;

I am a commercial tanner and the last time I did a pro-forma cost for a cowhide leather tannery it was over 9 million dollars

Also where are you located and what kind of leather do you want to make

8. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Depending on what you intend the leather for, you really need to chrome tan to insure a "multi-purpose " leather. Waste water problems.

Furtanshop, you're initials wouldn't happen to be MS would they? Just curious?

9. furtanshop

furtanshop New Member

Howdy oldshaver
    How are you doing
    The MS is correct.

10. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Doing good, hope you are as well??

Glad to see your still at it after all these years!! I'm jealous. Good luck, and knock em dead!

11. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

I am phasing out of taxidermy and focusing on the tannery

Thank you for the good wishes

Pm me your phone number and I will call and we will have a good visit.