1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guidelines for those that want gifted birds...

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by finfeathr, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MBA Taxidermy

MBA Taxidermy Member

Thank you for the birds you have gifted me in the past years! I have gifted some snow geese and ducks on here and quickly became frustrated with accepting money orders. One user said they shipped the money order and when I finally got it a week and a half later it was post marked like 3-4 days prior. I only do paypal now and if I lose a little money due to paypal fees, that makes up for the hassle of holding birds extra weeks for people to send money orders. I also appreciate seeing the completed mount even if it is terrible, but have yet to see any mount pictures. :-\

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Tell the people paying for the shipping to use the "Friends or Family" option in Paypal. That way they pay the fees

3. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    The best easiest thing to do is as Pete suggested. Open up ypur own Fedex account and shipp of your account number. Then fed ex bills you with 0 money exchange. Plus its easy on both ends not waiting to recieve money for shipping, just drop it off, fill out one fourm and done.

4. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

I quit gifting after watching 2 friends go through USFW investigations. Neither involved taxidermy or gifting. Both were very time consuming and expensive legally. As they say- you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. You will never get a definite answer on the rules because that leaves the door open.

5. I received my gifted Brant Geese from Rich today.
    They arrived in great shape an look excellent.
    Thanks very much Rich !

6. Can you elaborate more on the situation if you are willing to share? I've been wanting to receive gifted birds, but stories like this worry me. I don't like it when laws have gray areas or are open to interpretation and I always want to stay 100% legal.

7. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

nothing illegal about gifting a bird...only actual shipping funds can be collected.

JEEZ...I started this thread to help make it a little easier for guys doing the actual gifting/shipping, and it has gone off the rails into a debate about going to jail over a duck.

I have gifted for years with no problems, so has Bob Jungman and a few others..I suspect that people that were investigated were either suspected of selling birds, or suspected by the feds of something else shady, and the feds used it as an excuse to investigate..

I think if everyone keeps it clean and follows the rules, there should be no problems. Actual shipping charges only.