1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hay Spears, not just for moving bales

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BrookeSFD16, Feb 9, 2017.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

They're also great for skinning big boars with thick shields.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great idea! Put a can over those to smaller spears to keep from impaling yourself!

3. BrookeSFD16

Thanks for that idea Joey. Also if it does punch through, just lock a pair of big vise grips under the skull to keep it from sliding down.

4. Well I'll be damned lol sweet idea

5. Tfd1224

Tfd1224 Member

Ive never mounted a hog but took one i killed to a taxidermist once and he had a long stainless hook made out of 1/4" round bar hanging from the ceiling above his sink and he just hooked it in the neck meat and went to skinning. Bet he skinned that head in 3 minutes.

6. BrookeSFD16

Tfd, we thought about that, but the head weighed more than our hook, or rafters could handle. Lol

7. I have two small electric winches mounted in the ceiling in different places {his and hers}. One rated at 440 lbs the other 800 lbs. I use the them ever day for something. Both have two alligator hooks attached to them to hook onto anything. Alligator hooks are fairly big and very very strong. Sometimes its nothing more than a third pair of hands for me.
    We use them for skinning ever thing from ducks to bears. Etc. Before some one asks why a duck in a 400 lb rated winch. Its because at just the touch of a button we can. Raise or lower it at the " just right height ".
    Honestly the first one we put in, we didnt think it would get used that much. But once we started using it for more and more things, we saw the need for a second one. Its the best think in the world for all the deer
    heads with all the neck left in.
    The absolute best thing for me is my wife doesn't have to ask me any more to come put a bobcat, coyote on the hook and chain. Just hit a button lower hooks to floor and she can do it all by herself.

8. BrookeSFD16

Glen, I promise if we ever add on to the shop...We are definitely gonna beef up a support to put in a winch! Until then....Don't Tell Randy about them, I like it when he comes and helps hang the Bobcats and Coyotes.;D

9. AHHHH ! I see now its had been intentional all along. She was just flirting with me the whole time and I didn't even know it. Well thanks for the heads up. I think I might have to unplug her winch a few times a week, she wont ever know. Let the flirting begin. lol

OH, and mums is the word. If you like I can tell Randy there just a waste of time and money .

10. BrookeSFD16

Dang it. I feel like I broke girl code. Don't you be using my slip up trying to go with Section 1!!!

11. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As for the hay spear, just take the top of your mounting stand off and replace it with a pointed bar of some sort, same deal.