1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Necks on OTS forms?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Slate Run, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Just wondering if anyone else finds the necks on the OTS forms to short? Nothing against OTS, I really like their forms and use them whenever I can but on some deer everything fits great except the neck which seems to be short. I realize every deer is different. Just wondering if there is anything that maybe I am doing wrong along the line or if there is a way to deal with this (other than using a different companies form)like pushing the hide more toward the head (which I usually do anyway)? Just wondering

2. I use OTS a lot and love them. The only issue I have with them is the shoulder/chest area. This is my opinion only... but I think the majority of capes get stretched out waaay too long length ways (the way the skin fibers run). I've found if you can stretch the hide back out to its original circumference, the neck length issue takes care of itself. That's my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Good luck.

3. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

What problem do you have that makes you think the neck is too long?

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

When I was starting out I was always taught to tighten my stitching towards the head to keep the hide pulled forward. Maybe try it. Don't have any problem fitting OTS forms and I only use one measurement when ordering a form.

5. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    What measurement do you use Jim?

6. Yes you have stretched the cape to long. Work it wide before mounting. The necks are perfect on the forms. There are some forms out there that look like they have an extra vertebra in them.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Jawline across axis. Usually the B measurement on most form brands. I also CHK eye to nose but unless it's ridiculous I don't make a note of it.